Kafka

- female! reader
- royal AU
- word count: 1,320

"Bring them in."

The guards obey and push three people in. All three are musty but dressed in decent—though filthy—clothing. Dirt and grime covering them suggest a rough background. Ropes tied around their wrists were clearly leaving marks.

The pink-haired girl immediately bowed upon meeting eyes with the lord, falling to her knees and pressing her forehead to the clean floor. Her teeth were clenched as to prevent her from saying anything stupid.

The man in the middle calmly kneels before the lord, lowering his head a decent amount.

The lord's eyes quickly look everyone over, then lands on the one on the man's right. She raised a brow waiting for some kind of respect to be shown. The person was hooded and showed no signs of movement.

"Who are you," she asked. The figure's mouth moved from under the shadow of their hood, but nothing is heard. The guards shoved the hooded person to their knees, "Lord Kafka, they're some kids we—" he was cut short when Kafka held out a hand signaling for him to shut up.

She got up and made her way to the three. "I wasn't asking you," she dismissed curtly, her voice light. They could find that the black-haired boy was growing uneasy with every step the lord took.

She stopped a bit before you, kneeling down on one knee to see you better, your hood was obstructing her vision for the most part. An ugly hood.

Kafka reached over to you to let the fabric down. "Don't lay a hand on her," the guy hissed and she stopped, side-eyeing him.

"And what's your name?" She asked politely.

He hesitates, but the guards' spear nudging his back makes him fold.

"Dan Heng," he replied with a bit of a grumble. Kafka nodded. "Her?" In a swift movement, she pulled the hoodie down. Dan Heng bit down on his bottom lip as he watches Kafka pull your head up by the chin.

She's quiet, taking in your features. Your hair looked like it was cut by a butcher, and your cheek was bruised. Kafka smiled at the girl. "Your name?"

"(Y/n)," you say quietly. Kafka nodded then stood up to face the guards. "Get (Y/n) cleaned and fixed up, send her to one of the guest bedrooms," She demanded.

The pink-haired girl mumbled something under her breath. "Excuse me?" Kafka raised a brow.

"But what of the other two?" The guards pulled you all up. "Send them to Blade." She peeked at you, "On second thought, clean them up as well, but separately." The guards nodded and began pulling the other two away. The three of you showed worried looks.

Pinky huffed, "Why can't we stay with (Y/n)?"

"March..." you exhale when they yank you farther.

Kafka walks a bit away, creating distance. "She's caught my attention. I'm sure she'll do great work," she said simply. She then turned back to March and Dan Heng. "Now, you two... I have other plans for you."

Dan Heng goes against the guard pulling him back to shield view of March. Kafka hummed, "Don't worry. You won't be killed, for the sake of (Y/n)."

Dan Heng grits his teeth. "Don't... hurt her," he says carefully. "Crazy bitch," he scoffs under his breath.

"Hah, we'll see."

...

You were led to a room after your cleaning. The maids were careful with your wounds but effective. Why me? Why did the lord choose to give me special treatment?