10

I shifted uncomfortably on the couch as I read my textbook. I had been here so many times, but knowing that I was staying here seemed to make me feel uncomfortable. Like I wasn't in my own space, but rather invading someone else's.

The snow had started to come down heavily and I kept getting caught up watching the snow instead of studying for my exams.

I sighed and closed the textbook, dropping it to the floor with an exasperated groan. There was a quiet chuckle and I wasn't sure who was laughing at me; Dimitri or Ivan.

"Is studying animals that exhausting?" Ivan drawled from the island, eyes trained on his laptop. I glowered at him.

"It's hard to focus when someone killed a fox on your bed and left it there for you to find."

Ivan stopped typing and turned to look at me, a grimace on his face.

"Is that what he did?"

I shrugged. "Dimitri didn't tell you?"

Ivan shook his head. "No. He takes your safety seriously. He rarely tells me of the bad events that happen, that way nobody can try and say I helped because I knew something I shouldn't. He only tells me things like 'she had a good day' or 'Rose made it up the rock wall without hesitating'. He keeps you top secret," Ivan explained.

I nodded to myself and flopped back on the couch. "So he didn't tell you that he had to take me to the mall because Mason sifted through my underwear draw and I refuse to wear anything I previously owned?"

The door shut as I finished my sentence and I lifted my head to find a snow-covered Dimitri and an even more snow-covered Bailey.

"Her underwear drawer, really?" Ivan exclaimed and Dimitri shrugged.

"It was private."

"Literally," Ivan muttered and I smirked before I stood up and grabbed the designated 'Bailey' towel off the hook. I rubbed her down and kissed her snout before she scampered to her water bowl. I made my way to the island and plopped down beside Ivan, propping my head up on my hands as Dimitri busied himself with the kettle. I sighed quietly and closed my eyes, trying to make the throbbing in my head stop. It felt like someone was trying to push my eyes out of my head.

"Is your head still bothering you?" Dimitri asked, making me slowly open my eyes.

"Yeah," I said tiredly. Dimitri frowned and opened the cupboard above the microwave and took out a bottle, setting it down on the counter.

"What's this?"

"It will help with the migraines. Because these are not just headaches, Roza. They're post-traumatic migraines. The neurologist warned your parents that it may happen. They told you, but I don't think you'd remember," he explained. I nodded and looked at the bottle.

"Is it going to mix funny with my other medication?"

He shook his head as he turned back to the kettle. I reached for the bottle of water he had set on the counter when he came in and took a gulp before opening the pill bottle. I fished one out and popped it in my mouth, grimacing as I swallowed it. Dimitri pulled two mugs out of the cupboard and emptied packages of hot chocolate into them before pouring the water into them.

Dimitri stirred them and set one on the counter in front of me with a smile.

"And some sugar would be good for you. You've barely eaten the last few days," he said softly. I smiled at him and blew at the steam rising from the mug and took a sip. The flavour was rich and full, making my lick my lips.

"This is delicious," I said and Dimitri smiled.

"Doubling the packages is the secret," he said with a wink, while Ivan gaged at us. I rolled my eyes and took another sip of my hot chocolate. Dimitri took a sip of his own and glanced outside.