Chapter Thirty-Eight

"Jessica...Jessica can you hear me? Honey?"

My eyes fluttered open to see my mom standing over top of me with a very concerned look ok her face.

"Mom?" Realization started to set it and I shot up in bed, clutching my throat.

"Oh my god! Cole?! What happened?" I asked, panicked.

"He tried to kill you, honey! If Brant and Chase hadn't gotten there when he did, you'd be gone!" My mom said, starting to cry. I grabbed her hand and pulled her in for a hug.

"I'm here, mom. I'm here. It's okay." I tried to slow my own breathing as I was nearly hyperventilating myself.

She held on to me tightly for a few more moments before releasing me. "Where's Cole now?"

"I'm not sure. He was arrested but badly hurt. Brant beat him till he was nearly dead himself. Your friend Chase is the only reason Cole is alive, from what I understand. Honey...you were gone! You weren't breathing when they made it to you. Brant and Chase did CPR until the ambulance came for you."

"Oh my gosh...but, everyone is okay, though?"

My mother sighed. "Yes. Everyone is okay. Thank God."

"Where's dad?"

"He went out to get us food. We weren't sure how long you'd be out. They already ran lots of tests on you to make sure your brain was okay. They also ran another test..."

There was a soft knock on the door before Brant walked into the room. He rushed over to my other side and hugged me fiercely.

"Oh my god, you're awake. How are you feeling?"

"Like someone choked me to death." I joked.

Brant pulled my face to his and kissed me with a gentle sweetness.

I pulled away to look at my mother awkwardly. She was watching us quietly.

"Judging by the look on your face, I suppose I don't have to explain much..."

She shook her head and smiled.

"I told your mom and dad everything once we got you to the hospital and were sure everything was okay."

My mom stood and kissed me on the forehead.

"I'll leave you two alone for a few minutes. I'm going to wait for dad outside."

"Okay, mom. Thanks. Love you"

When the door closed, Brant pulled me to him and kissed me again. "I missed you so much baby."

"Brant...I...I owe you my life." I whispered into his neck holding back tears.

"Jessica, you are my life. I'm just glad I got there when I did. If I would have lost you, I..."

"Shhh. It's okay. I'm here with you. Everything is perfect."

Brant held me close and rubbed my stomach.

"Yes, everything is perfect." He smirked.

I looked down at my belly and back at Brant. I remembered what my mother had said about more tests.

"Am I...?"

"Pregnant. About 6 weeks."Brant said, beaming from ear to ear.

"The baby is okay?!", I asked, incredulously.

"Nice strong heartbeat. Strong just like his or her mama. All is looking really great. We're blessed."

"Oh my gosh...Brant..." Tears stung at the corners of my eyes.