three; hostility

"We'd always go into it blindly, I needed to lose you to find me. This dancing was killing me softly, I needed to hate you to love me. "

*   *   *   *   *

*   *   *   *   *

My body freezes over as I hear those words come from his mouth.

He's right behind me.

I whip my head around, some of my hair getting caught in my mouth as I frantically try and pull it out. My face heats up in embarrassment as Atlas stares at me with amusement.

"S-sorry," I stutter. Since when did I stutter? "I thought Amora was home."

Atlas stares at me for a moment longer, his bored gaze lingering on my face. "She went shopping with Chloe."

My stomach drops as he mutters those words, walking over around the counter to check on the pasta.

"Mom went shopping with Amora?" I ask again, my eyebrows furrowed. Of course, Mom wouldn't even bother to ask if I wanted to go shopping with them.

Atlas glanced over at me, his piercing gaze creating a weird feeling I have never felt before in my stomach. "I don't like to repeat myself."

I swallow, nodding my head and ignoring the crazy fire going on in my stomach. "Did she say anything about bringing me along next time?" I'm sure the hopeful gaze in my eyes didn't go unnoticed by Atlas, along with the disappointment on my face from hearing that Mom and Amora left without me, something they promised they wouldn't do last time.

"She didn't mention you at all," Atlas leaned against the counter, and his words almost made it seem like he was trying to dampen my mood even more.

"Oh," I let out a huff, awkwardly swinging my arms around as if they were two unwanted weights hanging beside my body. "That's..." I trail off, thinking about my next words, "Not new."

The corner of his mouth lifts up as he takes a step closer to me, and I get flashbacks of last night all over again. "I'm assuming you're an outcast to the family, or is it just a coincidence that you're entire family seems to hate you?"

His words hit me like a ton of bricks, and I take a step back as if they physically hurt me. I maintain my straight face and fix my posture, appearing as though his words never hurt me. "Are you always this outspoken?" I ask, trying my best to focus on my short breaths instead of Atlas' sharp gaze. "Or do you get your bluntness from your parents?"

He breathes out a chuckle, but I had a feeling he didn't find my question remotely funny. "From what I heard you're the blunt one."

I try my best not to roll my eyes at the image of my mom telling Atlas all about me. I'm sure she's already told him everything she thinks of me. Blunt, impolite, guarded. I inwardly cringe at the thought of her exposing my biggest insecurity. Asthmatic.