Ellen DeCaseworker

Denise pipes up, "Jaycee, this is your father, Jack Morgan. I guess you've already figured that out. We have some things to discuss." The door opens again and Denise introduces us to my caseworker. "This is Ellen. Ellen is going to be working with us on your custody situation."

"Wait a minute. What do you mean custody situation? I thought I was going to live with Jack." Denise sucks on her teeth and taps her pen against the table as she sits down next to Kylee.

Ellen says, "Well, Jaycee. It isn't exactly like that. We have to go through the whole process. It's pretty much an adoption, since Jack was not your legal guardian. We'll have to do a home visit at Jack's place. Do background checks, references. It may take up to a month, maybe more."

"Ellen, Jack is my father. I'm not going to live with some weird foster parents, I'm going home with Jack one way or another." Ellen's eyes widen and she laughs. Kylee turns to Jack.

"Well, Mr. Morgan, it looks like you'd better pass the inspections! Jaycee's a fighter. I met her yesterday and know that much." Kylee smiles at me and I smile back. Kylee was like the big sister that you'd always want.

While Ellen and Jack scheduled the visits and meeting and stuff, Kylee wheeled me back to me and Laurel's room. She was waiting for me on my armchair, which was now basically her armchair.

"Hey, Jayce. What happened? Was your dad nice?" I get comfortable in my bed and start eating the lunch that I missed while I'd been in the meeting.

"Yeah, I mean, I just met him. But I think he's cool." I start to put a spoonful of salsbury steak in my mouth and Laurel grabs my spoon. I reach for my spoon and she continues to move her hand.

"What the hell, Laurel?" I burst out laughing and she pats me on the head. She then grabs my plate and starts layering my steak, mashed potatoes, and corn into a casserole. "Let the experienced hospital-food-eater help you with this."

She gave me the plate back and I approved of its taste. "Oh, and there are like five missed calls on your phone from your boyfriend. The first couple times, I answered it and he said to tell you to call him. Then, it just got boring, so I ordered some sherbet and turned on Steve Harvey The Channel."

I nod my head and say in my best Morgan Freeman voice, "I can respect that." She hands me my phone and starts giggling like an idiot. I hit the home button and my regular lock screen pic of Kyle and I was replaced with a photo of Laurel with Steve Harvey in the background. Dork.

I really did love it, so I left it the way it was and dialed Kyle's number. It rang a few times and I started getting nervous, but then he answered.

"Hey, Jayce. What's going on? Are you okay?" I smile like an idiot at the sound of his voice. Apparently, I didn't speak for a minute or two.

"Jaycee! Hello?" I wake up from my daydream. "Sorry, Ky. Yeah, hey. I'm fine. I met this girl. She's really cool. Get this, my dad is here going over custody stuff with my new caseworker and," he interrupts me, "Wait, what? Custody?"