• Prologue - Page Two •

She grabbed the trunk of the tree, pulling herself up. She wasn't very strong, but she pulled through. She grabbed thick branches, using anything poking outward to step on.
Halfway through, she paused. Was this really a good idea? She looked at the world beneath her. Sure, she wasn't that far off the ground, but it was still terrifying.

Her heart began to race. What if she fell? She looked down again, spotting the rocks next to the truck of the tree. She couldn't risk falling, not with those rocks.

She continued her journey to the top of the tree. The climb increased in difficulty as her hands began to shake.

"Maybe I should get down."

She shook her head and kept climbing.

She felt so close to the top.

She could already feel the calming breeze against her skin.

She could already see the view.

She grabbed her final branch and lifted herself up. She located a safe spot to relax and sat down. She looked beneath her.

This was not calming.

The realization kicked in. How could she forget her fear of heights? She began to panic at the sight of the ground. The thought of falling invaded her mind.

She wanted to be back on the ground, safe.

She wanted to be safe.

Safety is all she wanted.

She began to make her way down, quickly. She couldn't think, she couldn't pay attention to her surroundings.

She could only think about falling.

She didn't look at where her foot landed. The branch felt thin and weak.

Suddenly, she felt the branch snap.

2