4. Like When We Were Young

A/N: Day 4 - Childhood

.𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟.

4. Like When We Were Young

.𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟.

That first night I was too exhausted to lay awake and worry about Juuya and Yuki. But now, here in the morning light that startled me awake with its brightness, all I could do was hope and pray to the gods that they were safe. I hoped that they were able to find somewhere warm and safe to sleep.

It also confused me on where they could be. If I ended up in this fisherman town, then surely they were somewhere close? I bit my lip and sat up. I should ask Sasaki what to do. While we're waiting for that wizard to return, I could go and swim around the place to see if maybe they washed up somewhere...

Sasaki. He had been so sweet and accommodating. He had given me the guest room, and made sure that I was comfortable before retiring to his own room.

I got up and out of bed. Being in human form taught me I had to take care of this body more, and once I did that, I tiptoed through the cabin. It was strange with how quiet it was. I thought that all of his family lived here, but it seemed like he lived alone... Maybe they lived nearby? Humans tended to separate and live in different houses, so that was probably it. Sasaki told me his birthday, and that he was almost two years older than me, so it would make sense for him to be out on his own. Still though, the house seemed... lonely, with just him living here.

I went up to Sasaki's bedroom, and saw the door was open. I peeked in to find him still asleep. The way the sunlight filtered through the dark blinds and cast its dim glow onto him made my throat tighten. It was as if I suddenly had gills again and needed the water to breathe.

His orange hair seemed so shiny in the faint glow, and his tanned skin looked smooth to the touch. His eyelashes fluttered in sleep, and he looked both cute and handsome as he lay there, curled up around... a mermaid tail? It certainly looked like a fin of a mermaid, but it was a pillow. Either way, I found it adorable, and decided to let him keep sleeping. He must be tired with all the walking around we did yesterday.

I went into the kitchen where he showed me there were drinks in a container that kept them cold... a "fridge" is what he called it, and just another amazing invention done by humans.

I studied the contents and settled for a bottle of water, it would probably be best to try new things when Sasaki was around. I walked outside and into the yard. Down the hill was the ocean, and the sound of the waves was so soothing to me. The music of the sea calmed my mer heart tremendously, and I was thankful Sasaki lived so close to my home.

I sat on the swing that overlooked the water and sipped at my water. I began to grow excited. Sasaki was taking me to his family's bakery today, and I wondered what all the new food would taste like!

Suddenly, I heard loud barking and growling come from the woods behind me, and my instincts raised. The presence of predators set off alarming bells in my head, and my first instinct was to run toward Sasaki.

Before I could make it to the house, though, a pack of wolf pups jumped out and surrounded me. They growled and snapped at me, and I trembled at the sets of teeth they had despite being so young. Werewolves, maybe?

"Sasaki!" I shouted, hoping he could hear me, and that made one of the wolves bark loudly at me. I gazed at the ocean. If I can make it to the water, they can't touch me... But would they try to hurt Sasaki? Torn, I didn't know what to do to escape them, and they were circling in on me...