Chapter 4

Clair hurriedly takes a shower and changes into her nicest pair of underwear. She stands before her wardrobe looking at the variety of dresses she has. She figures she should look nice, but not to fancy. Finally she decides on her simple dark blue dress with a sweetheart neckline that stops right above her knee. Then she pulls her hair back in a fishtail braid, and light makeup. Finally sliping on her ballet slippers she turns to her clock to find it's now 5 o'clock. Her hands start to shake just as there's a knock on her door.

"Come in," she calls clasping her hands together in an attempt to conceal her nervousness. Gran enters holding the box that contains the family robe. She smiles at Clair setting the box on the bed and moving to stand in front of her.

"You look beautiful," Gran says as she clasps Clair's hands in her own.

"I am so proud, more than you could ever know, I never thought this day would come, but here we are," her voice breaks at the end causing tears to well up in Claire's eyes.

"Gran..," Gran waves her off, patting her cheek.

"Don't mind me my darling, I'm just being emotional, and we don't want to ruin your makeup," they both give a small laugh before Gran turns, opening the box, and pulls out the beautiful robe. She holds it up while Clair turns around and slides her arms in the sleeves. The matirial is cool against her skin and as she takes a step forward she notices that it trails lightly behind her. She looks in her mirror and it's pleased with how she looks but her stomach is in a constant knot and she can see the nervousness clearly on her face. Her Gran steps up behind her, looking at her through the mirror and smiles.

"You remind me so much of your mother," she says, lightly trailing her fingers down her braid. Clair turns and embraces her Gran in a tight hug. She can't believe she is being forced to leave her only to live with a complete stranger. Anger begins to boil her blood but she quickly pushes it away not wanting to ruin the moment. Gran pulls away wiping under her eyes and gives an airy laugh.

"Well that's enough of that," she says taking a step towards the door.

"We'll be leaving in about 20 minutes," and with that she leaves closing the door quietly behind her. Clair sighs looking to her reflection once more. The strange language appears on the robe and she gets the feeling that something important is going to happen tonight. Not with just the ritual but something more. She shakes her head and exits her room quietly going down the stairs. When she enters the living room she's surprised to see Roeby sitting on their couch.

"Roeby..What're you doing here?"Roeby smiles at her and stands.

"I was just confirming that you were ready for the ritual but I'd be a liar if I said I didn't volunteer at the first chance to catch a glimpse of your beauty," he picks her hand up to kiss it but Clair playfully pushes him away.

"Roeby you are so full of it!" She laughs. He looks at her appalled before sending her a wink.

"Oh but the mirror doesn't lie and you are a rare beauty," she shakes her head at him but can't help the flattered giggle that escapes her.

"Your charms won't fool me," she says wagging her finger at him. He opens his mouth to respond but Gran enters the room cutting him off.

"You heard her Roeby at least accept her rejection to your attempt to seduce her with some dignity," Clair laughs while Roeby pouts, but he quickly gets over it and send her another wink before walking towards the door.

"If you lovely ladies would follow me we can get going," they nod following him out to their cars. Gran and Clair follow him for about 30 minutes until they finally reach a field with about twenty or thirty people standing around. Among which Clair recognizes Shamus, Lorena, and Vincent. She's not even out of the car yet but when she catches sight of Vincent he instantly looks to her as if feeling her gaze. Clair swiftly looks away getting out of the car without lifting her eyes from her feet.