Chapter 2

In the morning the bakery always smelled like fresh dough, it was my favorite part of the day. I was allowed to simply bake and decorate without the thrum of customers whispering to themselves or the repeated chime of the front door. I could lose myself in the colors and textures of the different desserts. It was nearly nine which meant we would be opening soon, and customers would wander in to get their breakfast. I had gotten in later than usual which meant I was rushing to complete this morning's usual orders. Thank god Adria always had an emergency set of doughs in the freezer in case something like this happened. But that also meant I had to stay late and re-make the frozen dough.

I caught myself yawning more than once as I rolled out the cinnamon roll dough and combined the cinnamon sugar mixture. Setting the bowl down on the counter, I walk over to the drawers behind me and grab a knife and a spatula, leaning against the counter for a moment.

Closing my eyes for one moment couldn't hurt right? It was just one sec-

"Vanessa! You all right?" Adria's voice snapped me awake.

I nodded my head and blinked a few times before looking up at her. She had long pale blonde hair rested in a bun and a baby blue lacy bow below it in the back. Her dress was a flowy pink dress that ended just at her ankles and had poofy sleeves that cut off at her elbows. Her gold earrings were simple and clean but elevated her look. On more than one occasion she had asked me to let her redesign my wardrobe. As tempted as I was, she had tastes that were well above my pay grade.

"Yeah, yes, I'm sorry it was a weird night. Felt like I didn't sleep at all." My mouth curves slightly at the edges and my eyes give her the 'I'm sorry' look.

"Well try and keep up, we open in an hour, and our coffee cakes are still in the oven." She nodded towards the oven and brought the book she was carrying back up to her line of vision walking towards her office. I rub my eyes with my arm and walk back over to the dough and begin loading the filling onto the pale dough on the counter.

I pull the cakes out of the oven and replace them with the rolls, setting them down on the metal cooler. As I begin to gather the ingredients for the frosting my phone starts to ring and I wipe my hands off on my apron and pick up my phone.

Derrick

I answer the phone bringing it up to my ear and resting it between my cheek and my shoulder.

"Hello big brother, and how are we feeling this rainy Monday morning?"

"I would be better if I were inside the bakery, and not in the rain little sis, did you see my text last night? Or this morning?" His voice is deep and soft, it's a comforting sound.

"I saw the one last night, but I've been busy this morning. Why?" I ask.

"I sent it before you were supposed to leave for work, what have you been doing?" He sighs.

"Oh, you know, just doing my nails, and makeup, drinking a cocktail. What do you think I've been doing Der; I have been doing my job." I roll my eyes and fill the ingredients into the blue stand mixer and set it to its lowest setting leaning back as the powdered sugar flies up making my nose tingle.

"Okay grumpy, no need to snap. The text just said I am on my way and to let me in. And I'm here. So let me in, before I freeze out here." I hear the shuffling of his jacket through the phone and then the small click signaling he ended the call.

"Ass." I scoff and roll my eyes and put my phone down checking the oven before walking to the front of the shop.

In contrast to the white kitchen, the storefront was bright and colorful. The walls were lined with shelves each painted a different color filled with different pastries. The chairs were mix matched with different shades of purple and pink cushioning. I pushed open the small half gate and made my way to the door grabbing my key from my apron, opening the door for Derrick.