nine

CHAPTER NINE
[9]
song: small town witch by sneaker pimps

"Hold on," Summer says, moving slightly so that she could get a better look, her heart beginning to pound. Rafe held onto her wrist as she stepped forward, eyes narrowing.

He'd nearly forgotten. But it was far too late to call it off.

"Come on," Rafe pulled her back towards him. "Please."

Summer shook her head, slowly. She spoke so quietly, she could barely hear herself. "There's someone else in here."

Rafe didn't process her words. Not until she shoved him off of her and screamed.

He looked up at her, and then to whatever it was she was up in arms about, to find a cloaked figure in a white ghost mask charging towards the two of them with a knife.

Rafe could kill him right now. He had assumed Barry was smart enough to take the kissing as a good reason to avoid this whole thing. But it was naïve of Rafe to expect that much logical thinking from Barry, when he hadn't told him why exactly it was he wanted him to go after Summer.

Summer dodged out of the way, latching onto Rafe's as the killer plunged the knife into the wall where she just stood, missing her.

Her eyes widened at the sight of the knife severed in between the wood panels, and even more as she got a close up look at the masked killer as he slowly turned to look at her. Just like he did right before he killed Shoupe.

Rafe tugged on her arms, acting quickly as he pulled her to the door they came in through, only for the killer to yank the knife from the wall and step in front of the door before they made it out.

Summer screamed, her lungs filled with a terror she never thought she'd experience. "Help!" She yelled, hoping whoever was left inside was close enough to hear.

Rafe's first instinct was to latch a hand over her mouth and tell her to shut up, but that would have most definitely come off as wrong. He had to forget the fact that he planned this for it to come off as real.

"Shit." He let out, not sure what it was he was reacting to. But he grabbed Summer's shaking hand, and started running to the other side of the event hall.

She ran with him, glancing behind her as the killer remained in front of the door, observing them like mice in a trap. She looked around frantically, no other exits, only windows.

Rafe had other plans, he pulled open a closet door, his eyes quickly scanning for modes of defense as Summer kept her eyes on the killer, still unmoving.

"Fuck, nothing?!" Rafe raises his voice, startling Summer.

She turns around, looking into a half empty storage closet full of streamers and party decorations.

Footsteps came clamoring down the hall, and they both lifted their head up at the sound.

"In here!" Rafe yells this time, taking a step forward.

Summer grabs onto him, shaking her head 'no' frantically as the door swings open, and with it, the killer plunges their knife into the abdomen of the bartender who came running after hearing pleas for help.