Day 2

I woke up to some kid crying. There were more people on the bus now. It was almost light outside. I guessed it was around 4 or 5am. I checked my phone, and I was right. It was 4:37am. I sat up and looked around. Almost everyone was asleep except that crying kid, some old people, the bus driver and me. It's about a 12 hour ride from my old shitty town to Peterborough. I've only been on this bus for only 4 ½ hours. I sat up and stared out the window. All I could think about was racing. Being in the race car. Driving to the track. Driving the pace laps. Waiting for the green flag to drop. The nerves, the excitement. Listening to my dad as my spotter. Hearing the roar of the engine. Hearing the crowd. All I wanted was to be on that track. I pulled out my phone and began looking at the old pictures of my dad's stock car when some old guy came up to me from behind.

"Hey, I'm sorry if I seem stalkerish, but I seen those pictures of that stock car. I know that car. I was part of that pit crew. Patrick Wallwork, #23." The old guy said, sitting across from me, since my bag was in the way.

I was shocked. "You knew my dad?"

He looked almost as shocked as me, but a smile appeared on his face. "Yup, and now I know his daughter. "

I smiled. "Im actually going back to see him now. Me and him spent months working on a stock car together, but then my mom won custody and I had to go up to this shitty town . I ran away though, and now I'm on my way to see him so we can continue our racing dream. I lost all contact with him though, my mom made me. He doesn't know Im coming."

He looked and me concerned but also kind of proud. "Well, I was in Timmins trying to see if I could find the old dirt track, but I guess its gone now. I could bring you back to your dad's, Im on my way back home anyway."

I smiled and moved my bag over so he could sit with me. "What was my dad like as a racer? I only ever seen the pictures and some videos. He let me keep the fire suit and some of his trophies. I knew he was a champion."

"Well, he was aggressive at first, a true rookie. Always made the worst mistakes. He thought he knew how to race right away. I only used to watch from the stands. I felt so bad for the guy, I knew he had a potential in racing so I just had to help him. I offered to take part in his pit crew, be his spotter. He already had Ken to work on the damage and what not. Im sure you know Kenny." He smiled. "Oh, by the way. Im Gary. Not sure if you ever heard of me."

"Yup! I heard a lot about his pit crew actually. I just only ever met Kenny." I smiled.

"He's a good guy. Anyway, since I became his spotter, I slowly started teaching him how to properly race. His first year, he still sucked horribly. He didn't win Rookie of the Year that's for sure." He chuckled "Then while we were waiting for next racing season, we worked on the car, set it up so he was comfortable, we even travelled down to the warm places to try out racing there. Just to get the car set up. Then we brought it back down to good old Peterborough and got him set up real quick for the next season. He didn't improve the best, but he defiantly did get better. He didn't win a race though until his third year in racing. We did the same thing every winter. We didn't let him in the autumn colours until his third year though. Did I mention he started off right in Thunder Car? He thought he knew everything about racing. Bad idea! Those cars cost fortunes, and he crashed them a lot."

"See, I'm not as much of a know-it-all as him, I'm starting in Mini Stocks!"

"Atta girl. Kiddo!" He smiled "Well, anyway, he started winning a lot in his fourth year, and he became the points champion in his 5th year. I think you'll take after your dad, after all you must have it in your blood."

"Yeah, that's what I though, I feel like I can race good, I mean, my dad gave me all these tips, and I watch a lot of racing videos, a lot of NASCAR, and I play a lot of the racing games. I think I've got it, but I also know that this is what everyone thinks, and I'm probably gonna fail really bad my first year." I sighed, but smiled at the fact that I'll get to race.

"That's nothing to get upset about, everyone is bad their first year. It's the ones with the determination to keep racing and to get better, become the champions" He smiled.

We kept talking for a while about racing, the sun was fully out now and it was around 6am. Some lady came over and started offering around snacks. I wasnt hungry. This bus was actually pretty nice. I felt like I was touring somewhere. Like I was in nascar on my way to my next track. I smiled at the thought. Gary was still sitting beside me. For the last 15 minutes he's been looking for something on his phone. I just stared out the winow. Another 5 minutes passed and I got a tap on the shoulder.

"I finally found it!" Gary shouted and passed me his phone. "Watch this!"

The video began playing.

~

"3 laps to go an Kelly Balson and Patrick Wallwork are fighting for first. Balson is in first, and Wallwork is right up against his bumper. Here comes corner 3 & 4, and there goes Wallwork! Passing by Balson on turn 4, taking the lead. Balson tries drafting off Wallwork, but nothing is working. The white flag is out, and Wallwork is still in the lead. Balson still trying to take back his lead on turn 2, but Wallwork is far ahead. Here comes the last corner of the race, and the checkered is out! Wallwork takes first place, Balson in 2nd, and JP in 3rd."

My dad pulled up infront of the flag stand and grabbed the flag. He stood up on the window of his car holding the flag out to the crowd. He acted like he won a nascar race. The announcer came over to him.

"Congragulations Pat! Anything that inspired you to win this race?" The announcer handed the mic to my dad.

"I did it for my baby girl! My wife just told me and my whole pit crew she was pregnant right before this race! Shes gonna grow up to be just like her father, she's gonna have racing in her blood, she's gonna be a natural. She will one day be the champion of this track." My dad said, then doing some air punch thingy to the air.

The crowd went wild.

"Well then, again Pat, Congragulations!" The announcer shook my dad's hand then allowed him to drive back to the pits. The next category came out and began driving the pace laps.

~

I felt the tears coming. I needed to see my dad right away. "He actually said that?!"

"Yup! He didnt even know if it was gonna be a girl or a boy yet, but he was so sure."

"Oh my god. I cant wait to see him!"

I sat back and began watching the video over and over again. Then all of the sudden I heard sirens. I turned around and gasped. The bus pulled over, and the flashing blue an red colours filled the bus.

Shit.

~6:30am~

AN: Hehe, <3 I just had to leave you with this. But what I really wanted to say, is my dad's name is actually Pat Wallwork, my names not Rokai btw xD. ahaha.. Two of his pit members are Kenny & Gary, i've met both of them and they're willing to pit for me too! Gary's gonna let us use his trailer to haul around the stock car <3 The whole thing about my dad starting off racing, some of thats true <3 Ohkieee, bye. I love you my lil gumdrops !