Chapter One: It Killed Her Baby

"It killed her baby

"It killed her baby."

I shake my head, blonde strands whipping over my sunglasses' lens.

"You don't think so?"

"We shouldn't draw any conclusions yet." I hold my breath for a second. "Just because one took Roger doesn't mean that every baby death involved in our cases was caused by one of them."

Liya's pencil thin, brown brows distort into a V-shape. "You weren't on the phone with her! She was so sure it killed her baby!" She crosses her arms. "And you have never been pregnant either!"

I put my hands up. "Sorry, sorry. It's just that last case... "

"I still think there was something there."

"We didn't sense anything. I think Alicia was a bit dark crazy."

Liya glares at me. "And you think Kayla is dark crazy too? What even is 'dark crazy'?! You can't just make up terms!"

I raise my palms up once again. "I said I'm- "

"Have you ever had a miscarriage?!"

"You already know the answer." We have a case to solve and all she wants to do is fight.

"Please don't bring up Roger again. Or you're staying in the Lotus!"

My lips quirk. "Is banishing me to my own car a punishment to you?"

Liya stops speaking and stares at me.

A shiver runs down my spine. "I really am sorry."

She keeps staring at me.

I pout my lip out. "Please stop looking at me like one of them."

"Then stop."

I try to put my hand on Liya's shoulder, but she pulls away. "Are you sure you want to take this case? I could do it by myself if you want. It almost seems a little bit too- "

"A little bit too what?!"

"Too personal."

Liya nods slowly. "That's exactly what it is. That's why I wanted this. Even if I have to work with you."

I pull my hand back from Liya's cool, leather seat. "'Even if you have to work with me?'!"

"Well, we don't exactly have the best track record of working together."

"Are you really going to be like this on yet another earth?! We don't know what to expect here and I really need to know that you have my-!"

Liya puts her hand up. "You're the one who started this! I was trying to be civil with you but you had to go and bring up-!"

"I hope you realize there's people's lives at stake here. We can't have any personal differences interfering with our work."

Liya scowls. "Fine. Be that way. From now on it will just be work."