Chapter Two: Mutilated Toys

"You can't see it. It's invisible."

"Dr. Davis-Dr. Davis, she said you were-were special. Special psychologists?" Kayla closely examines my face. "She said I'm not having hallucinations. She said-she's only one who's believed me. I knew at that moment the Starfall Institute was-what is the Starfall Institute?"

I slowly smile. "Don't worry, before we leave you'll know the truth. Before we get into everything ethereal, let's focus on saving your family."

"No, no. I want to know now. What kind of special psychologists are you?"

"It's not that I don't want to tell you. It's just that I don't want you going into shock. We need you levelheaded and working with us."

Kayla grabs my right hand fiercely. "Tell me! You must be special to understand my situation. To not think I'm lying or crazy."

I lean forward, getting so close to Kayla's ear that her wispy black hair tickles my nose. I whisper, "We're angels. Happy now?"

Kayla's breathing quickens. "Oh."

"Are you in shock?"

"No," she says softly, "no."

"You seem like you are."

"You can't be angels. You're women."

"That's sexist." I cross my arms. "But I think that you already suspected we were something out of the ordinary. If you're dealing with a fallen spirit, you must also assume that there are light spirits."

Kayla stares hard at me. "Prove it," she whispers.

There's a reason I prefer to do all the explaining after the job is done. Time is precious when dealing with these crafty dark ones. I don't have time for Kayla to change her whole worldview right now.

I take a deep breath. I'm going to have to fix this. "Okay, Mrs. Smith. You want Jesus to deliver you and your family, correct?"

"Why do you think I called you?"

"Then, I'm going to need you to save all of your questions for afterwards, please. Because I have a whole lot I need answered from you."

Kayla grabs me by the shoulder and squeezes, her long nails digging in tight. "Show. Me. Please." Her eyes feel like they're drilling into mine with diamond tips. She's so focused on me a shiver runs down my back.

I pull away from her grip. "I'm going to take a look around your yard before I come back. Then, I'll talk to everyone and examine the house itself."

"Why can't you just show me?" She tries to grab me again. "Just. Show. Me."

"Then you won't give me a moment's rest. Or you might start screaming your head off. Or faint. I need to concentrate on beating this thing or things that's troubling you and your family." I turn away from her face, which is scowling yet with eyes as wide as an owl's. Walking down the concrete block steps, the slight, warm breeze tickles my cheeks. No more distractions.

Front yard first. Jesus, open my eyes. I scan the shadowy lawn spreading out in front of me. Freshly dug dirt? The thick weeds and grass look undisturbed. Nope. Any disturbing symbols? Statues? All I see is five towering oak trees, the breeze quietly rustling their leaves. Nope. Any clues whatsoever?

The Smith family has no signs in their yard, not much decoration whatsoever. It doesn't look like they've mowed in a while. I slowly walk over to one of the thick, gray trunks of the shady oak trees. I see little black beetles scurrying along the bark. Good. There's life here. I crane my neck back and peer upwards. The thick branches vanish into stems and a sea of fluttering green leaves. Chills down my spine and I have the urge to just fly off into the sky. After this. After this job I swear I will.