Chapter 1-Jake

Loud cries filled the little apartment. I sleepily dragged myself from bed to the kitchen to heat up milk. It took a few minutes too long to warm up for Eva's liking. I walked over to the crib and picked her up cooing at her. I quickly changed her diaper and fed her in bed. I looked at my alarm clock and groaned. 4:30 am.
"Guess you didn't want mama to sleep, did you pumpkin?" My shift at the diner started in 2 hours. I shut my alarm off before it rang so she wouldn't wake up again. I laid her down on my bed and lay next to her. We fell asleep and I woke to the sunlight bursting through my windows. Feeling sticky and gross from the summer heat, I rose and glanced at the time.
Shit! I completely missed my shift! John is going to have my ass and fire me for sure.
Right at that minute, my phone rang. I nervously an quickly got up to answer it.
"H-hello?"
"Emily, you missed your shift. What the hell happened to you? You never just not show up."
"I'm so sorry John. I was up at 4:30 because Eva started crying and we fell asleep. I literally just woke up."
He groaned and sighed. "Don't let it happen again. I'm letting it slide because you got a kid and you're a nice lady. I won't always be soft, Em."
I thanked him and hung up. So I have all day and all day tomorrow since I have the day off. I decided I was still tired and picked Eva up and changed her diaper and fed her half a bottle and laid down in bed again. I fell asleep quickly and slept for 2 hours. When I woke, I decided to get up and fix something to eat. While the pasta was on the stove, my phone rang. I looked at the caller id and started feeling giddy.
"Hi Jake."
"Hey, Baby. I can't make it tonight. I'm stuck at work. Maybe tomorrow I can make it up to you?"
Disappointment seeped in my body. "No. That's fine. Don't worry about it."
"Don't be pissed at me. I can't help it if I have to stay late."
"Jake I don't give a damn. I'm not getting pissed at you. I really don't care." I lied. I lied straight through my teeth. I know he's cheating. Has been for the past 2 months. I sighed. "Look I've gotta go. Eva is waking up. Have a great night at WORK." I hung up quickly before he could say anything.
I checked in on Eva and she was sound asleep. Damn him. Damn Jake to hell. Ruined my night. I can't see him anymore.
That's final, I thought, I'm done. No more Jake and his cheating.
I felt happy I decided this. Maybe I need to find a new man.