Chapter 21: The Calm Before the Storm

The sound of scribbling could be silently heard in a small room. The cool breeze of the wind was gently slipping in the room through the small window which was located on the right side of the room beside a small bed.

A young boy was sitting on a chair and he was currently busy writing inside a small piece of paper with the help of his brush. His handwriting was neat and understandable and he could continue writing like this for hours, but somehow with each passing word it was getting harder and harder.

Naruto stared at the pile of letters currently located on his desk and a tired sigh escaped from his lips.

It wasn't that he hated doing paperwork but these letters were different...very different from any other document.

These were "Death Entitlements" letters, they were used to notify the relative of a trooper that he/she has fallen in the line of duty and has made the ultimate sacrifice.

His eyes stared at the 39 letters in front of his eyes, he had written these letters for the families of the troopers that had fallen while defending Shanxi.

Baku had offered to write them but the young Namikaze felt it was his responsibility now to address the families of his fallen men along with handing out their belongings.

"So this is what it means to be a true leader...every day you have to make tough choices, decisions which would send many of your friends, relatives, loved ones knowingly to their deaths. Tou-chan...how did you handle such a responsibility all these years?" thought Naruto curiously,

With every passing day of his life he was slowly able to understand the choices his father made and the reasons behind it. His rational mind could now make him understand how much Minato Namikaze sacrificed for Konoha and Fire Country...he even went as far as bearing his son's hatred for so many years without lashing out of him.

Just...what kind of man was he?

A knock on his door brought him out of his thoughts, he looked at the shining moon in the sky. Who wanted to meet him at this hour of midnight?

"Come in"

The door of the room slowly opened and he was quite surprised when he saw Armin standing there.

Naruto got up from his seat and went towards his bed, he then gestured his friend to join him and the boy agreed.

Armin just sat there nervously on the bed...he didn't say anything but from the look in his eyes made Naruto understand what was wrong with his friend.

"Having Nightmares?" asked Naruto calmly, and he could have sworn he saw Armin flinch a little.

"How do you know?" asked Armin hesitantly, and he saw Naruto giving him a victorious look.

"Because I'm awesome!" said Naruto cheerfully and punched his hand high in the air making Armin chuckle a little on his friend's antics.

"Not to mention an idiot too" said Armin with a small smirk on his face, and he laughed a little more when Naruto face faulted and was now sulking in a corner of the room.

Silence followed as none of them said another word and were instead staring peacefully at the shining moon in the sky. It was truly relaxing in comparison to the constant fighting they had been through.