|10| Our Lost Friend

Theo and Ominis reluctantly parted ways after a quick lunch, heading toward different lessons that afternoon. Theo walked out of the castle in the direction of Beasts class, whilst Ominis had headed toward Arithmancy. She wished they were still together, but Ominis, not unreasonably, was a bit wary about some beasts and struggled to care for them without his sight, so had dropped this class years ago when he was able.

Theo felt as though she was walking on air as she approached the outdoor classroom. A few of her classmates, Poppy included, were already milling about waiting for class to begin. Poppy spotted Theo coming, a huge grin on her face.

As Theo reached her, Poppy pulled her to her side and said to her quietly, "You look a bit dazed, Theo" with an obvious smirk in her voice.

Theo blushed before she could help it, she'd been reliving their kisses over and over in her head for the last hour. She shrugged and Poppy and grinned.

"I'm not sure what you mean, Poppy," she said, and walked past her friend with a smirk. She sat her things down at the desk they usually shared and heard Poppy's footsteps behind her.

"Oh, please. You sauntered off with Ominis earlier and now here you are, looking as though you're seeing stars!" Poppy exclaimed.

Theo leaned in close to her friend, and in a moment of boldness she whispered to her, "Maybe I am". She smirked as Poppy's mouth dropped open. They were interrupted before she could respond.

"Good afternoon students, can everyone please gather for today's class," Professor Howin called.

Theo couldn't help but keep a small smirk on her face as she felt Poppy's eyes on her, searching her face while Professor Howin introduced today's class. It wasn't until they were sent off in pairs to attend to the beasts in the pens that Poppy finally had a chance to question Theo, desperate for a full debrief from her time with Ominis.

"Well go on, then. I can tell something happened! Spill it!" Poppy demanded, eager to hear what had happened.

"We took a nice walk around the grounds, Poppy, I'm not sure what you mean." Theo smirked, enjoying teasing her friend. She knew Poppy must be bursting at the seams.

"Theo, come on!" Poppy begged her.

"Oh alright then. After we had walked around a bit, we sat for a while. We were talking about the Patronus charm, I was wondering what both of ours would be," Theo began, making her way around the pen to feed some of the beasts as she talked.

"Ominis was convinced his would be a snake, because of his family. I didn't like the connotation and frankly I disagree, he's nothing like them, so I told him as much. I told him exactly how I see him, actually." Theo blushed and looked over at Poppy.

"And? How did he take that?" she asked eagerly, desperate for every detail.

Theo laughed, "Not well, he has such a skewed image of himself. He's stuck in his the past in his head, back to when he was a child." Poppy nodded knowingly. She was aware of the trauma's of Ominis' past, Theo had told her with Ominis' permission.

"He was surprised I could see him that way. He told me he thinks I'm majestic." Theo grinned. "When I said I thought the same of him he struggled to accept it. We sat holding hands for a while, and then..." Theo smirked, looking at Poppy.

"And then?!" Poppy nearly shouted, garnering a few looks from neighbouring students. "And then what Theo?!" she whispered urgently.

Theo simply raised an eyebrow in response, and let her face settle into a wide grin. Poppy gasped, raising her voice in excitement. "Did he kiss you?!"