nine

Word got around about what you'd done, and it wasn't long before other monsters were approaching you for help with one thing or another. It got to the point where every knock on the skeleton's door you shambled up with your crutches and went over to see what they wanted, grabbing the medkit you left right next to the door. It would've been annoying if it didn't mean you were owed favors by every monster in the Underground.

Unfortunately for Flowey, it kept you from being able to leave.

"They need me," you insisted tiredly while the two of you were alone in the shed for the night—the one time of day where you were left alone. The dogs asked for pets a lot, but other than that, most of what you had to do was fix life-threatening injuries. It was, in a word, exhausting. You had gone back to 'kitty' the cat monster a lot to get cinnabunnies to heal them while you fixed their physical wounds. It got to the point where she hand-delivered her entire stock to you daily.

"They're just using you!" Flowey shot back. "Monsters only want one thing: to use everyone else for their own benefit." He was chipper about a lot of things, but the other monsters? He always assumed the worst.

"You told me they just needed someone to show them they still had good in them." You looked down at him, arms folded. "This whole operation was your idea." He met your gaze from his spot in the ground. He looked frustrated—an expression that almost seemed permanently affixed to his flowery face now.

"I still believe that, but any day now those skeletons are going to give you to Undyne, and she's going to bring you to Alphys so she can use you in some awful, twisted experiment. Why do you think being nice to these monsters is going to change that?"

"Maybe Undyne will leave me alone if she sees what I'm doing, and maybe Papyrus will decide that I really am more use to him alive than dead." You were convinced after what happened between Sans and Papyrus that they weren't going to get rid of you, but Flowey disagreed, so you played along for the sake of argument. At the end of the day they were still monsters, and even if they did have good in them, they also had the ability to hurt you.

"Where do you get this optimism?" he asked himself. You leaned closer, holding a hand to your ear.

"What?"

"We both know Sans lied to us so we wouldn't run off, he said it himself."

You looked down. "Yeah, but maybe we're wrong." Flowey's eyes shot wide open.

"What?!" You could feel his eyes boring into you, but you kept your half-open eyes on your shoes—the ones the skeleton had kindly given you.

"Like he said, why would he give me a collar to keep me alive if he just wanted me dead?"

"Because he doesn't want you dead yet," he sputtered. "I can't believe you're actually considering this. This is our chance to leave!"

"What if I didn't leave?" you asked quietly. It took him a second to fill the heavy silence.

"Please don't tell me you actually want to stay." You stayed silent. "(Y/N), what has gotten into you??"

"I've been trapped down here for so long I don't even know," you admitted, falling to the ground beside your friend. "I'm starting to think maybe it wouldn't be so bad staying down here the rest of my life. I mean, I've basically changed the whole town's opinion of me, and they're actually starting to be nicer to each other. And maybe I don't want to go back to the Surface because then I won't have to deal with the crippling debt college has left me in, and I won't have to work just to put food on the table, and I won't have to fight so hard to get a degree anymore." When Flowey didn't answer, you looked up to see him looking at you, distraught. "Goals can change, you know? I really think I could do a lot of good here-"