CHAPTER FOUR: The Past

A woman held my frail hand and put it inside her pocket. She sweetly smiled at me and said, "We're going home my cute little Twilight," I was dumbfounded because it was not my name—I don't even know this woman. I'm in an unfamiliar place, the whole place was damp in white and the chair where I'm sitting is freezing. I noticed that I was the only one who was filthy, my clothes were burnt and I feel blood trickling from my face.

I wanted to escape from her grasp but she held me tighter, "Let go of me. Please, I have to go and save them," I don't know where this desperation came from. I just feel that I should not be in here.

"No Twilight. You're not going anywhere. You belong here, with me. I'm here to take you home. If I failed to do so, I will chase you. I will catch you and I will chain your lovely little feet and hands to bind you with me. I will never let you go. Never again my love," For the first time in my life, I feared for myself. For this woman—who sang me love, doesn't love me at all.

"You're gonna be fine my Twilight," then she calls for someone, a man who's in his mid-30s came to us with a needle and pierce it through my neck. I immediately felt fuzzy until I blacked out.

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

I woke up in an enormous pink bed, I looked around and saw a collection of stuffed toys on wooden shelves. There is also a playhouse shaped like a castle on the side of the play table. The sun is bright but my heart is dreary. I felt out of place. I don't remember anything—where am I? Rather, who am I?

A woman burst out of the door and hugged me. She has long raven hair, sunken cheeks, and an extremely pale complexion. May sakit ba ito? And why did she hug me? Does she know who am I?

"W-who are you? Where am I? Do you know me?" my voice shakes as I asked questions, but the woman only sat on the edge of the bed and stared at me.

"I'm your mother, you dummy," she flicked my forehead then she continues, "And for your information, this is your home. I, Livia Blair Walton—am a mother of a hard-headed 7-year-old child, Twilight Walton," she puts her right hand up with her left hand in her chest and acts like she's reciting a sorrowful poem. I gaze at her in amazement and heard myself chuckle.

"That's more like it," then she softly took my hand and led me downstairs.

I saw a dazzling diamond shape chandelier and gold-tinted railings with rust-carpeted stairs. It was the most splendid mansion I'd ever laid my eyes on. It was grand—however, it also feels foreign. Parang hindi naman ako taga-rito in the first place.

I was trying to reach the hem of this woman's dress to ask her if I really lived in this palace when a man standing not far from us coldly gawked at me from head to toe. He wore a white long-sleeve shirt with a luxurious gold watch. I think he's in his early 40s, as he had a few white strands in his scrupulously neat hair.

"How long would you keep this up, woman?" pabalang niyang sabi.

"What? It's entertaining. This is the most delightful day I've had since that... day," napatigil yung babae at saka ito lumipasay sa sahig at humagulgol.

Napahawak na lang sa sintido yung lalaki at agad niyang hinawakan yung likod ni Livia na para bang ito ang way niya para magbigay comfort.

"I know... I'll keep her for you. I'm sorry," the man who seemed so heartless isn't as cold-blooded as I thought. Then, he called for a maid and commanded her to take Livia upstairs.

Pagkataas ni Livia, he led me into a room with piles of papers and books. He graciously sat on his study table and observed me for a while. I fidgeted.

"From now on, I'll take you in as my daughter. However, there are two conditions."

I looked at him questionably.

"First, you exist only for Livia. No more, no less. So be grateful and try your hardest to satisfy her needs. Second, don't ever show yourself to my face unless necessary. You may be my daughter in name, but that doesn't mean I have to treat you like one. So get out and tend to Livia. She's having a hard time as it is, don't be a burden."

I was left dumbfounded. Buong akala ko na kahit mukhang hindi ako belong sa Mansion na 'to, I have someplace that I could call home.

Hindi pala. I only exist for Livia. My mother.