Chapter Fourteen: Silvergrove

Hearing the stories about Xadia and seeing Xadia firsthand are both two different things. It was a beautiful sight to behold. The two humans could practically feel magic in the land as soon as they stepped through the mist. Xadia's vast array of colors seemed more vibrant and full of life than the human lands. Sierra admitted that the home of everything she had been raised to fear and hate — elves, dragons, magic — was rather beautiful. The sun was rising behind their backs. That meant that the whole country of Xadia below them lay in the morning light — forests, hills, valleys, and winding away like a silver snake is a great river shrouded in morning mist. Miles away was the shimmering sea, overhead the golden-streaked sky and full of clouds. But towards the east were great, but rocky mountains that almost looks like it can touch the sky.
Seeing Xadia was like something out of a dream, figured Sierra.
🌙🌙🌙🌙🌙
Walking through the forest, they were fascinated by what they were seeing. Giant trees grew all around them, whose twisted branches served him as a path and bridges, amazing plants grew everywhere, on the trees were magical creatures with an appearance that Callum and Sierra didn't even think existed, while the end smiled at the familiar surroundings around them.
As they walked through the woods, Sierra looked around in wonder at the magical forest surrounding them as she followed her companions. Everywhere he looked was another creature he had never seen before, each more bizarre and exotic than the last. Nevertheless, she doubted she would ever get used to so many magical beings and plants... They have been in Xadia for several days now, and he felt as amazed as when they first arrived. Sierra is amazed and curious of the unique, magical nature surrounding them as they both kept exploring.
"Hey, what are these?" Callum were looking at some unique yellow flowers that Sierra and Rayla recognizes all too well, but decided not to say anything to Callum.
When he sniffed the flower, it let out a terrible odor and making Callum coughed at the scent of the stink. While Sierra and Rayla bursted out laughing at the same time.
"It goes by Toot-lips, Peri-stinkles, and Flatu-lillies. These flowers go by many names." Callum gave a laughing Rayla and Sierra a tired glare. "But at the end of the day, it's a fart flower."
They soon heard a yap from Zym and watched as he pounced headfirst into the fart flowers. "Zym, no!" Callum ran towards the baby dragon and picked him up, taking a quick whiff from Zym and coughed at the stink. "I wish Ezran was here. He'll love it." 
After that, Sierra and Rayla both ended up watching Callum washing off the sink in a lily pool after they had their turns in the refreshing waters. Somehow, the water smelled like lilies and managed to get rid of the stink off of Callum as well as his clothes. Once he was done, he strapped on his satchel over his shoulder and placed his bag on his back. He threw another look at Sierra and Rayla, who were both still snickering over the incident.
"You done yet?" Callum asked Rayla and Sierra as they started walking together.
"Till something else happens, I'm not sure." Sierra shrugged uncertainly, her blue eyes still glittering with amusement as they headed towards a field.
"Lets do something fun," said Rayla.
"What kind of fun?" Callum asked.
"You'll see." They fell into a companionable silence, walking close on a path, helping each other over obstacles when necessary, and enjoying the warm sunlight and soothing forest breeze.
They could see the silvery, grassy clearing in the distance. Rayla's practiced ears picked up on the tiny squeaks her furry little friends were always making. Her smile widened with anticipation.
"I always come here as a kid and making all sorts of colorful little friends." Rayla pulled Callum into the clearing, while Sierra and Zym both watched on curiously.
"Friends?" Callum looked at her in confusion.
Rayla gotten something out of the grass and tossed a furry blue item to Callum, who'd caught it on his elbow by chance.
"What is it?" Callum soon took the furry blue object off his jacket and looked at it better. Callum jumped back when he realized that it has eyes and it's alive.
"It's an adoraburr," said Rayla, smiling.
He looked down at his shoe to see that it was completely covered with different colored adoraburrs. "They're so CUTE!"
"Look they stick together." Rayla showed four adoraburrs in the colors of blue, green, purple, and white in a furry stack. "I thought you might like them."
"I love them." At that, Callum took a simultaneous running leap into the meadow, landing in the sea of grass amid many surprised squeaks. He rolled around, laughing as the soft critters tickled his skin and clung to his clothes. He sat up, his mirth doubling as he looked at an amused Rayla. Callum had a full adoraburr afro, along with several more that were hugging his shoulders and arms.
"Hey, do these come off, right?" When Callum asked Rayla, she and Sierra just bursted out laughing at the sight of Callum being covered by adoraburrs.
"I can't believe I'm almost home," Rayla said to them. "Somehow I'm happy and excited, but also terrified."
"You're just nervous," said Callum reassuringly. "Once they see you and widdle baby Zym, I'm sure they'll help us."
"But you're a human who only performs Sky magic," Sierra countered. "I don't know how they're going to react to that."
Callum eyed some nearby tree branches. "I could use a—"
"Don't even think about it," deadpanned Sierra. She went through her backpack and took out a spare blue cloak. "Cover yourself with this."
Callum let out a dramatic sigh. "Fine." He covered himself with the blue cloak and pulled the hood over his head.
"Is this your home?" asked Callum.
In front of them was a grassy field and a small waterfall that was making a river. They could also see a few woodland critters scampering through the clearing. Many critters were bathing in a river, some were just sunbathing in the field. Some foxes were chasing each other and playing wrestle. Some mothers were feeding their babies with twigs carrying a large number of berries. It was calm and peaceful around her in the gentle forest clearing.
"I like it." Sierra raised an eyebrow at Callum. "It's... modest."
Rayla sighed. "It's hidden by an illusion. To get in, I perform a special ritual that lets me see through the spell. It's like having a magic key."
"So, how do we get in?" Sierra asked curiously.
"You'll use my key." Rayla led them to a huge tree branch that has hidden runes to reveal the village. "Come on, it's easy. Just do what I do." Rayla began the ritual moving her arms and legs with such precision. As she spent so much of her childhood leaving the Silvergrove to explore the woods that at this point, it was muscle memory. Callum was a bit messier, but could follow Rayla's movement with Zym running around them as if he was trying to dance along with them and Sierra joined the ritual moving her arms and legs with such precision. She was graceful, but she copied her friends' movement too.
"This is it," said Rayla with a proud smile. "The Silvergrove."
They watched as a twilight beneath the thick forest trees has began to appear. They could see buildings made of marble-like material and have round walls and roofs. The paths made out of the same material stretch through the place, and ivy grows on walls and arches. But they could see some homes were built into some trees. The hidden village is treeming with Moonshadow elves. The adults had started heading towards nearby markets or started heading towards work. The teenagers had started working their morning jobs or meeting up with each other in their favorite hangout spots. While the kids had started helping their parents, playing with their older siblings or playing with their friends.
"Isn't it amazing?" Rayla took a step further through the giant branch. She took a deep breath, Zym seemed to do the same. It was a long journey to Xadia. "Oh, are you hungry? I can take you where they make the best Moonberry Surprise."
"A what?" Sierra soon stopped mid-step when she saw something strange about the Moonshadow Elves. She turned to see faceless elves walking around them and it seems like... they couldn't see them at all.
"Ooh! Moonberry Surprise?" Callum asked eagerly. "What's in it?"
"I can't just tell you what's in a Moonberry Surprise, Callum," replied Rayla. "I can show you where I grew up, where I went to school, and..."
But Callum started seeing the similar situation as Sierra is. "Rayla, something's wrong. They have no faces."
"Now that's scary," Sierra commented.
"Oh, no. Oh, no." Rayla seemed to be hit with horrified realization.
"What's happening?" Callum held Rayla's hand. "What's wrong with them?"
"It's not them, it's me." Rayla's eyes glistened with unshed tears. "I'm... a ghost!"
"A ghost?" Sierra looked at Rayla in worried confusion and gazed at her with sympathy.
Callum was gently holding Zym in his arms, his eyes filled with confusion as he looked at the oblivious elves. This vain attempt to make things right lifted her spirits ever so slightly.
"It's no use," she said, trying to keep her feelings out of her voice. "They can't see me, and they can't see you, Sierra, or Zym because you came in with me."
Callum's face was set in a mixture of concern and confusion, while Sierra watched on with worry. At least they were here, and they can see her and hear her. They're truly great friends.
"I'm a ghost, it's like being magically banished. It's what happened to my parents when they abandoned the Dragon Guard, and now it's happened to me." Rayla's voice trembled ever so slightly as she told him. Her parents were banished for cowardice.
Callum lay a hand on her shoulder. "You didn't run away from anything. They just don't know what happened."
"There is one person who will understand," Rayla said. "Come on! Remember Runaan?" Rayla walked up some stairs with Callum and Zym behind her. 
"Maybe?" Callum sounded uneasy. "I think he tried to murder me." Sierra glanced at him a with startled expression.
"Well, you're about to meet his husband,
Ethari," said Rayla. "They have taken care of me since I was little."
Sierra swallowed as the three of them took off together towards one of the tree houses. She has a bad feeling about this. But something unique has caught her eye. Sierra found a silvery-white round water fountain, with only one silver flower floating in the middle. As she gazed at it, she found flowers have sank to the bottom of the fountain. As if the flowers were tied to an elf's life... and death.
She looked away from it to see Rayla racing out of the house with Callum and Zym behind her. Sierra immediately headed towards them, but she flinched back when she saw Rayla's tears.
Sierra glanced at Callum in confusion and he quietly mouthed to her. "Knock some sense into him."
Sierra nodded and raced towards the house that they have raced out of. As she went inside, the inside of the workshop was certainly a sight to behold. Sierra couldn't help, but let her eyes go wide as she stared at the walls, weapons from swords to scythes displayed on small hooks ceiling to floor. No two blades were the same. Curved or straight, broad or thin, short or long, they all were unique, and as the door quietly swung shut, the sun's rays glinted off the edges of the metal, which were without a doubt wicked sharp.
Along the walls were a few wooden mannequins, which wore elven robes and armor. Their faceless heads watched Sierra as she turned in a full circle, observing the entirety of the shop. She ran a hand through her hair from her face. There was so much beauty to take in.
There was a work desk at the back of the shop. There, several unfinished sword hilts and other items were strewn haphazardly across the wood. Sheets of paper were pinned to the wall, showing the designs for weapons, armor, and strange looking sculptures. Sierra tilted one of them to her for a better look. The paper contained the blueprints for a beautiful archery bow, which apparently, according to the drawing, could split into two longswords "For Close Range Combat" the spiky handwriting told her. But she finally found something what she has been looking for.
No one was in the room beside her. But she frowned when she saw the craftsman. Sierra immediately took note of the warm brown hue of the elf's eyes. He appeared to be the same age as Callum's aunt. His skin seems to be darker than others, the color leaning more towards blue rather than purple. Lavender markings framed the sides of his face and his skin, and his snow white hair tumbled down to his shoulders. His horns were adorned with gleaming metal clasps and twinkling jewels. He had on a simple sleeveless black top and gray pants, but around his neck is a purple scarf and has black boots.
She saw that Ethari was currently working on a blade. How does a ghost gets another's attention? Sierra soon spotted a small mirror nearby, there's a notebook and a pencil on the desk. She took hold of a knife and dropped it on the floor.
The tinkerer lifts the blade up to check it and he gasped at the sight of a Sky Perian girl standing there in the reflection with a proud, defiant stance. She... She reminds him of a beloved friend of his. Ethari pushed away his grief from his late husband. She gestured for him to join her side.
Sierra started writing down some sentences into the notebook that should knock some sense into Ethari. She watched as Ethari started reading the notebook with a sharp frown.
"Why did you blame Rayla for being the only one alive from King Harrow's assassination?" Sierra gaze him a sharp glare. "For goodness sake, she could of been locked up in a human prison." Ethari gave a slight flinch, in which she saw. "From what I've seen, she's more of a protector, not an assassin. Is your love for your family much less than your grief? Because that's what you have shown to Rayla." Sierra glanced at Ethari's distressed brown eyes. "You must remember the love you have for her and that love for her will never change. Besides, you're not the only one who is grieving over him."
Ethari let out a ragged breath and put the notebook back on the table. Tears ran down from his face, guilt and regret covered his expression. He breathed deeply, and he draped a cloth over his grief. So long as his daughter was here, he would be strong. He would love her and be strong for her now. But Runaan would be strong for Rayla, if their places were switched. He'd expect Ethari to do no less. He glanced at the invisible girl next to him instinctively, and returned his gaze onto the mirror to see her. "Sky Perian. Come with me."
She narrowed her eyes at him warily, but she followed him quietly. They found Rayla crying quietly into the fountain, with only Callum and Zym comforting her.
Ethari soon appeared on her left side and offered his hand to Rayla. "Take my hand." Rayla took his hand all of them watched as the ghosting spell was temporarily lifted from them. Ethari exhales in relief as he gazed at Rayla. "There you are." The two of them both hugged each other. But a look of confused desperation went over his features as they separated each other. "You know, I was never as strong as the others. This will only break the spell for a moment, but I couldn't bear to let you leave without seeing you one last time. But I don't understand, Rayla. How could you abandon them?" That comment from Ethari earned a disappointed stare from Sierra.
"I failed them," admitted Rayla regretfully. "It was my fault we were discovered, but I didn't run away." Rayla glanced at Callum as he joined her side. "Ethari, we found something. Callum, show him."
"Pleasure meeting you." Callum bowed to Ethari, who'd returned the movement. Callum caught his dragon son and spun Zym around. The baby dragon gave him a curious stare and panted happily, while making puppy-like sounds. Ethari has caught sight of the baby dragon and was amazed to see that the Dragon Prince hasn't been killed at all, only stolen from his home.
"We found the Dragon Prince," continued Rayla solemnly. "The egg wasn't destroyed. And I knew that if we could get him home to his mother, there could be peace."
"It's a miracle." Ethari offered his fist to Zym, who'd sniffed him curiously. "I don't believe it." But his expression became solemn. "But, Rayla, you need to know. The Dragon Queen is dying. Since the death of her mate, she's fallen very ill."
"We have to get to her," said Rayla determinedly. "It's the only way."
Ethari whistled, summoning three mounts for them. Sierra knew that Shadowpaws are black feline-like creatures, with a pair of of horns with swirling patterns and prominent manes around the neck (but they have regular cat paws, not talons in my story). She also knew that the Moonstrider are slender black canine-like creatures, with extremely long tails, a pair of horns with marked by light, glowing stripes, and highlighted in turquoise. From what she had learned about Shadowpaws, they are protective and gentle creatures, while Moonstriders are stubborn and solitary creatures.
"You can ride faster than you can walk," said Ethari quietly.
"Whoa!" Callum exclaimed as he petted a young male Moonstrider, who'd started sniffing him curiously. "What are these?"
Ethari smiled and as he petted his Shadowpaw. "These are Shadowpaws. They're pretty gentle to ride, but they can be protective towards their riders. Though, the one that you're petting is a Moonstrider. They're pretty proud and solitary, but they're great with their riders."
Callum smiled as he petted the Moonstrider's neck. "I think I'll call you Barak." The Moonstrider barked eagerly, making Callum smiled at him and Zym licked Barak's snout. Callum mounted the Moonstrider's saddle with hardly any problems and Zym jumped onto his shoulders.
Sierra was startled to see she was staring into the eyes of a unique creature. The majestic creature looks like a huge wolf, the magical creature reaches Barak's height. The canine has blue eyes that has the color of a pair of sapphires shining at her. The canine is sleek and elegant, but is strong and well-muscled. The canine has a pair of curvy horns with swirly blue patterns. Her fur is silvery as moonlit storm clouds and streaked with bright blue.
"That's a Stormwolf," whispered Ethari in awe. "They only come when a Skywing Elf or a Sky Perian is in need for help."
The Stormwolf's fur felt like a dog's, soft and warm, to the touch and she felt the Stormwolf's thick, sleek fur warmed her hand. They both met each other's eyes with open curiosity, Sierra somehow knew that they were confirmed as equals. Behind those blue eyes seemed to hide more intelligence than seemed possible for any canine and the Stormwolf's eyes seemed to have the reflection of Sierra's soul.
Sierra hesitated a bit before she smiled at the canine warmly. "Can I call you Aella?" Aella barked and sniffed Sierra, making the teenage girl laugh and she mounted her new furry friend.
But they soon returned their gazes on Rayla and Ethari, who was giving her the Shadowpaw (Chaya) to her. "I'll send a message to the Dragon Queen." He stole glance at Zym, who was in the process of winding himself around Callum's neck like a scarf. "If she knows her little one still lives, perhaps she'll hold on."
"Ethari, can I ever come home again?" Rayla looked really upset and seemed to be all alone, especially as she mounted her Shadowpaw.
Ethari looked down, a heartbroken look of guilt and regret went over his expression. "I don't know." They all watched as Ethari took some gorgeous jewel necklace off from his neck and gave it to Rayla. The circular purple gem was encased in intricately shaped metal, designed to be four crescent moons surrounding a full moon, all surrounding the gem like a shell. "It's a real moon opal. When I gave its match to Runaan, I told him, 'My love will be with you even when the moon is not.' Goodbye, Rayla."
They watched as the temporary spell disappeared around them, and Ethari became one of the faceless elves. Rayla looked away from him, the touch of tears have entered her eyes. They started heading east, where the sun was rising and where the Storm Spire is at. They galloped away from the village, each of them becoming shadows within the forest.