5 - Stolen Prince

Y/n's POV

Y/n's POV

After the close run in with Gil, we all thought it was time to go get Mal, and there was one place we could think of where we thought she could be.

Walking up to the old hideout brought back so many memories, but I didn't have time to think about them. I grabbed one of the rocks on the ground and handed it to Jay. He took the rock from my hand, threw it at the "Watch Out for Falling Rocks" sign and the door to the stairs opened up.

We led Ben to the stairs and let him go up by himself. Before making his way up the stairs, he turned around to us. "Wish me luck," he said. I chuckled at his comment as he went up the stairs to see Mal.

"Good luck," Evie said up to him. She positioned herself in the doorway, Carlos sat down on a crate next to the door, Jay leaned against a pole, and I slid my back down a wall and crouched near the floor next to him. Hopefully this works. I thought, wishing Ben was enough to convince Mal to come back.

It had been a few minutes since Ben went up and we hadn't heard anything. I was becoming restless and the longer we were here it was becoming worse. Jay must've noticed my change in behavior as he moved to crouch beside me. He tried pulling me closer to him with his arm around me but I shrugged it off. I couldn't explain it, but the atmosphere of the Isle was scaring me and I didn't want him around me. I didn't know who was watching and I couldn't take any risks.

I noticed how much that affected Jay, though. Evie and Carlos also noticed but tried not to stare at us.

I sighed, grabbing Jays hand and holding it between us. I brought my voice down to a whisper and leaned
closer to him as he leaned close to me. "I'm sorry,
it's nothing against you, Jay. I love you, it's just-" I broke apart to look around us to make sure there wasn't anyone around. I looked back and saw the concerned look on Jay's face.

I leaned my forehead against Jay's and sighed at the contact. I noticed him smiling too and felt his thumb rubbing circles on the back of my hand. "Part of the reason I never said anything to you before about how I felt, Jay, was because of the Isle. Once people knew you were close to someone, it became another exploit, another weakness someone could use to hurt you and I-" I was cut off by Jay kissing me. Once our lips touched I smiled into it began to calm down. after we pulled apart, Jay tucked a stray strand of hair behind my ear and rested his hand on the side of my face.

"Are you forgetting I grew up here too?" He asked me. "I had the same reasons you did, and I understand how you're feeling. I'll keep it down, but know that nothing can hurt us anymore. I promise."

I smiled at him again and leaned in for another kiss, which he happily returned. As we pulled apart, we heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

The four of us stood and backed away from the stairs. We looked and only saw Ben coming down them, no Mal.