Lake Monster

Leon got into the boat first and filled the fuel. It was awkward between you both. He didn't know what to say to comfort you and you didn't know how to take your words back. Not that you didn't speak the truth.

"Need help?" Leon held his hand out for you to take.

"Thanks." You grabbed his hand stepping into the wobbly boat.

Even when things aren't the greatest between you both he still acts like a gentleman. Not that you really want him to be mean to you back. You're already beating yourself up over the way you spoke to him. He didn't deserve that treatment. For how many times he's saved you, you should be thankful.

"Let's see how far this boat gets us." You tried to make small talk.

Leon didn't speak or react at all. He pulled the string getting the motor started and steered the boat. You looked at him trying to read his expression. It's harder to do after all these years. There was no emotion you could read.

"Leon, look I'm sorry-" You were cut off.

"Save it." He said.

"What?" You tilted your head.

"There's no reason to apologize when that's what you think. I'll either prove your point or prove it false." He explained.

The boat turned off in the middle of the lake. Leon began to try to get it to start again but something hit the boat. Leon almost fell onto the floor and you almost fell out of the boat. The water provided many waves and didn't let the boat calm down much at all.

"Please tell me that wasn't the big lake creature." You sighed.

Leon looked around trying to spot something. The waves began to get more subtle. There was absolutely no signs of anything. But Leon wouldn't let his guard down. His jaw was clenched and his eyes focused on the lake.

"What the hell..." You said in shock.

The creature was coming towards you both. It's mouth wide ready to feast on you. Leon turned around seeing the monster. But before he did anything it lept out of the water twirling above you and fell underwater on the opposite side of the boat. The boat began to rock aggressively and began to follow the creature. The monster must've gotten stuck on something.

"This is how we die. A very pathetic death." You chuckled in nervousness.

"Correction this is how you die." Leon threw harpoons at the creature.

"Makes me feel so much better."

"Think you can swallow me whole?" Leon chuckled at the monster circling around us.

"Leon this is not a time to say things like that." You choked on air.

The monster opened it's mouth and swam towards you both quickly. Leon threw one harpoon hitting the inside of it's mouth and it retreated under water. Then you both began to follow unwillingly. Leon continued to throw as you held onto the sides for dear life. The waves could tip the boat over at any second. This is natural for Leon, act like this is an everyday occurrence.

"Leon the boat is sinking!" Water started pouring into the boat.

"Shit, we're sunk at this rate." He replied.

"You tough son of a bitch." Leon groaned.

The creature swam faster and kept into the air. Over time this battle is getting harder. Especially when the boat is beginning to sink. Leon threw one last harpoon and the creature groaned loudly. It went silent as it fell further down in the water. It had finally died.

"I don't think the boat could have survived many more hits." You smiled.

Leon turned around and smirked at you. He suddenly pushed you into he water with a wide grin.

"Why would you do that!" You spit water out.

"You're very distracting during a fight, you know that?" He lifted you back up into the boat.

"Don't get distracted so easily then." You shrugged.

After that quick dip you were now cold and probably covered in monster blood too. Leon stood proudly until he sat down hunching over the side of the boat. It wasn't that he was sea sick but actually coughing up blood. He finally stopped but then passed out on the wet ground of the boat.

"Leon!?" You shook him trying to wake him.

This reminded you back at that house when you coughed blood. Except you didn't cough up that much and pass out. You had to get back to land. Starting the boat you began to gear you both towards land. You could feel your heart beating faster in worry. Leon lay on the bottom of the boat tensing up and relaxing. It was an odd sight. Whatever is going on doesn't seem good.

Once the boat was docked on land you turned it off. Leon couldn't stay in the boat so you had to drag him out. It took a lot of muscle to get him out. When he was out you sat next to him. Waiting for him to wake up so you could feel the calmness of him being okay. But until then you sat watching the water wondering if he'll ever wake up.

_______________________________________

866 words

Thanks for reading and voting! If you haven't go check out my one shot book if you enjoy my writing!