The Reason Why

"Hey, do you sense that?"

"Yeah. There's a demon around here. Let's split up and search."

The five edels of Siegfeld -Akira, Michiru, Fumi, Yachiyo, and Mei Fan- were currently patrolling the woods near where a demon attack had occurred. They all split up to see if anyone could track down the demon they were sensing.

Fumi could sense the aura growing stronger. That meant she was getting close. She gripped her weapon tightly. Who knew how fast she would have to react?

It seemed the answer was pretty fast. The demon charged out of the bushes at her at an alarming speed. Fumi barely managed to dodge in time. She quickly pulled out a gun from her side and aimed it at the demon. She hoped she wouldn't need to use her weapon for close-combat.

Her eyes widened as she realized just who she was fighting against. This demon was dangerous. So dangerous hunters in training were told to never engage in combat with them. Fumi was in a bad position now. She doubted fleeing would work. He would just follow her.

"You seem scared. Not so brave now that you're up against a demon, huh? All hunters are that way when they're young." The demon laughed, "Now, how about you be a good little girl and run along. I'd hate to have to hurt you."

The demon was taunting her. Fumi gulped as she backed away, still keeping her gun aimed at him. Was he really letting her go?

"W-why are you here?" Fumi asked, wincing at the slight stutter in her voice.

"Why am I here?" The demon chuckled, "I don't think you want to know. But, I'll tell you. I'm craving some fun, so I feel like killing some people. Now, get out of my way."

Fumi was conflicted. She had direct orders to flee if approached by a too dangerous demon. But he was planning to hurt people. What did she do?

Sure, she wasn't supposed to attack, but could he really be that bad? Professional hunters could take him, so why couldn't she? She had way more training than most hunters in training to begin with. She could handle him. She was certain of it.

"I can't let you do that." Fumi took a shot at him, but it missed.

The demon growled, "I gave you your chance. You asked for it now."

He was upon her in seconds. Fumi had no time to react.

...

"Jeez... this trail is dead..." Yachiyo groaned to herself.

Her path lead nowhere. The demon was not here. She had wasted all this time for nothing. Now to...

She froze as a scream rang out from not too far away. Yachiyo recognized it as Fumi's voice. That wasn't good. Something had happened to her.

Yachiyo quickly ran toward the place she believed the scream had come from. She didn't like what greeted her. The demon was gone now. All that was there was Fumi.

She was lying in a pool of her blood. Countless claw marks littered her body, most deep and still gushing blood. The most noticeable was on her side. It was the biggest wound by far. Fumi didn't seem conscious. Yachiyo had very little time to react.

She whispered something as she picked her up. The wounds stopped bleeding. Yachiyo took off for their base camp. Hopefully the others were back already.

Unfortunately it seemed not. Yachiyo had to tend to her alone. So, that was what she did. She wished she could just fully heal Fumi, but that would draw a lot of suspicion toward her.

Yachiyo had to settle for at least making sure her wounds wouldn't kill her. Then she had to leave it up to regular medicine. Hopefully it would be enough. If not, maybe she could heal her bit by bit and act like the medicine is doing it? Hopefully it wouldn't come to that.