thirty eight

chapter thirty eight: i'd kill for you
spring 2024

"Getting tired?"

Alejandra turned quickly and slammed her hands hard to Benjamin's chest, knocking him off his footing which caused the other officers to stop and raise their guns to the woman. "Hey, now... Lower your weapons." Benjamin chuckled while ushering the men to stand down. Tommy's eyes were erratic while watching his sister take a slow step towards the man. "What're you gonna do?" Benjamin teased under his breath and saw in Alejandra's eyes, everything she was going to do.

Instead, the woman stayed quiet and turned, continuing down the path back towards Jackson.

It seemed like they walked for hours until Tommy tripped over a branch from his lazy steps. Knocking into Alejandra's back which caused her to fly forward. An ugly snap erupted through the woods and everyone went silent when Tommy rose from his laid position to see the woman's ankle detached from the leg. "I swear to God-" Alejandra laid on the forest floor, feeling like crying while a chorus of laughter filled her ears.

She refused to cry and soon felt the consequence once her lungs started to burn and her eyes sting. Alejandra used the pads of her hands to push her to her knees, twisting her hips to sit on her bottom while she tugged her pant leg up and saw the broken-off stump. "There's a tool in her bag," Tommy sat in front of her while the man who was holding their bags tossed it to Tommy. "Thanks, man. I appreciate that." He answered sarcastically while unzipping the backpack and fishing around inside.

"What's the plan?" Tommy whispered while shoving the pieces back together. Holding his hand out while Alejandra grabbed it and he pulled her to squat, using her weight to click the pieces in place. "Hope outpost sees us and sends a warning. If not, play it by ear. Hopefully, some people have guns on them," Tommy scoffed while tightening the screws into the ankle piece. "Please, it's not all sunshine and rainbows there. People have guns on them." Tommy reached his hand into the bag and turned on the walkie, acting as if he was finding something.

He clicked the speaking button in a pattern, S.O.S, praying that it Joel or Ellie would hear it and was fast to shut it off, zipping the bag again while tossing it to the man who threw it at him before. "Hey, man. Pay attention!" Tommy shouted, standing to his feet while lifting Alejandra from the ground. "You never told me how you lost your leg, Marques." Benjamin asked, "You never asked." She huffed, continuing down the broken path. "I am asking now." He told her.

"Shark accident. Went back home to Mexico, went surfing, and turned out I made good bait." Tommy chuckled under his breath. "What?" Benjamin asked with a wide smile on his lips. "No way. I don't believe you." He clicked his tongue and shook his finger in her direction. Alejandra sighed, "alright. Rollercoaster accident. They told me to keep hands and legs in the ride at all times, but you know me." She spoke sheepishly, turning her neck to see the confused look on Benjamin's features. "No?" She gasped, "How about this one,"

"It was my first dogfight. I had my backseat with me and one of our engines blew. We evacuated too late and I hit the ocean, going 90mph. Broke my leg so bad it was mush. Got rescued 80 minutes later. My backseat died in the explosion so it was just me, floating around the Pacific Ocean. Thank God there were no sharks." Alejandra gasped again while Benjamin hummed under his breath, "I believe the shark story more than that one." He answered, "She was in surgery for two days and in a medical-induced coma for five days to control the pain before she was conscious. My niece lost her mind, my brother lost his mind. But hey, she won the lawsuit so she'd never have to work a day in her life again." Tommy told Benjamin the story who huffed out a laugh, watched Alejandra walk ahead of the group.