ELEVEN.

"you're the night, you're the light, you're the colour of my blood

"you're the night, you're the light, you're the colour of my blood."

Babar drove through the hustling and bustling streets of Karachi in the nightlights. Nawal was enjoying the drive until Babar suddenly stopped the car near a florist's shop and got down, Nawal sat there puzzled and in a jiffy he returned with a bouquet of white lilies. Her face brightened up to see her favourite flowers, "How do you know I love lilies?" She asked him as he handed her the flowers, "I just did" he answered. She took in their fragrance and smiled at him.

He then continued driving until they reached a housing society where he stopped the car and asked her to get down. "Yeh ham kiske ghar jaa rahe hai?" she asked him. "Ssshhh, bas chalo" he replied.

They entered the building lift and he pressed on the 15th floor. They stood in silence waiting for their floor, as they got off the lift Nawal noticed the nameplate saying "Babar Azam." Babar hurriedly opened the door of the apartment and they both went in. "Please just wait here for a minute, I'll be back." She was standing in the lobby looking around at the apartment, it was decent place, well decorated and maintained. But it gave off the typical bachelor's pad vibe.

He returned back saying "Okay, close your eyes and follow me." she gave him a puzzled look, "Why though?!" he sighed and went behind her, placing his hands on her eyes, "Kitne sawaal karti ho tum! Just keep moving forward."

He stopped her and slowly lifted his hands and she was stunned to see the view in front of her. She found herself standing in the sea-facing balcony of his apartment, it was lit up with lights and candles, decorated with balloons and a cake was placed on the table.

"Happy birthday beautiful!" he excitedly almost shouted with the biggest smile ever while she just stood there startled. "Y....youu...you knew it's my birthday?" she said. "Of course I did, isiliye toh ye set up kiya hai! Now please don't begin to ask how do I know and all."

She was looking at the entire arrangement dreamily, tears forming in her eyes. "Heyyyy! Why're you crying? Do you not like it?" he asked worriedly. "No no, it's not that! It's just that after mama and baba I never celebrated my birthday. They always remembered to celebrate my birthday and make it special, after their passing, I never felt like doing something for my birthdays, and all this today is making me sooo, I don't know, so overwhelmed."

"But now I'm here, I know your birthday and I'm going to make it special for you" he looked at her reassuringly. "Arey ab chalo bhi, it's 11:58 PM already, it's your birthday in just two minutes, apna mascara saaf karo, it's making you look like a witch" he attempted to make her laugh but instead just received a glare from her. She quickly fixed her hair and make up and sat in front of the table to cut the cake.

At exactly 12:00 Babar sang happy birthday to her and she cut the cake. She fed him a piece of it and he fed her in return. "Thank you so much, Babar. I'm so thankful to you, you didn't even have to do all this! I can't thank you enough" she was speaking when Babar cut her off with a hard glare. "Kuch achi baat nahi karni toh bakwaas bhi mat karo, okay?" he said and shut her up.

"Oh, see I almost forgot, just wait here for me" he said and went inside one of the rooms. He came back with a handbag of Tiffany&Co in his hand. Keeping it in front of her he said, "Open ittt." She was puzzled but nonetheless did as he said, opening the bag she found a small box inside, when she opened the box she was stunned to find a beautiful solitaire diamond necklace inside it. The sparkling crystal was beaming against the nightlight, but in that very moment Babar could swear on anything in the world that the beauty of her face still shone brighter than that of the diamond.

"Yehh...yeh tum mere liye laaye ho?" she asked looking at it in absolute awe. "Obvious si baat hai, tumhara birthday hai toh gift bhi tumhe hi dunga na" he replied casually. "Babar there's no way in the world I'm taking this, this is too much, cake wagaira tak toh theek but this is too much for me to take, look at it, it must be so expensive" she said in one breath. "Calm down birthday girl! Ye kitna expensive hai that's not for you to think about, trust me I got it because I can afford it, aur tumhare saamne toh ye kuch bhi nahi" he reasoned with her.

She looked at him and he had the most reassuring look on his face. "This is beyond beautiful!" she exclaimed. "Ab bas dekhti hi rahogi ya pehnogi bhi, pehen ne ke liye laaya hai dekhne ke liye nahi" he told her. She took it out of the box, touching it with utmost care as if it was some delicate piece of glass. She placed it around her neck but struggled to close the hook. Babar saw her struggling and said, "Wait let me do it."

He took the chain from her hands carefully making sure not to touch her neck and make her uncomfortable. But while closing the hook, the back of his fingers brushed against her nape and goosebumps surfaced on her skin. Her breath hitched. He smirked seeing this but his heart was beating faster than ever as well.

He then turned to face her and seeing the beautiful solitaire on her his heart fluttered and he said, "It looks even better on you, like it was made for you all along." She blushed at his words.

Both of them then sat in his balcony, the calming waves of the sea making the night even better, they spoke about other things for a while eating the leftover cake. Then she said, "I think I should go back to the hotel now, it's quite late now." For a moment Babar thought of stopping her and asking her to stay at his apartment for the night but it didn't seem very appropriate to him so he told her he'd drop her himself.

They drove back to her hotel and as they reached she told him, "Thank you so much for everything Babar, I'm so grateful to you for each and everything" she thanked him with a beautiful smile. "Pleaseeeee chup kar jao ab" he said annoyedly.

"And listen, be ready by 10 tomorrow, abhi tumhara birthday baaki hai poora ka poora" he told her. "But-" "No ifs or buts, just be ready by 10 tomorrow, I'll come and pick you up myself" he stopped her before she could say anything. She sighed defeatedly and went inside the hotel.

He watched her go inside and he felt as if she was taking his heart with her too, and in that moment he realised, he was a goner, for forever now. He smiled to himself and drove away back to his apartment.

————————————————————————————

NEED LOTS OF VOTES AND COMMENTS SO I CAN STAY MOTIVATED TO UPDATE REGULARLY. SHOW YOUR LOVE YALL. <3