Chapter 5 [Sakura TV]

Staying in a hotel was better than looking for someone who was unlikely to be found, like Kira. That's how I thought for a week while staying at the hotel. It was fun if you think it was my first time being alone on vacation. It would have been more fun if the rest of the family had come, but maybe our parents wouldn't like such luxuries. They're not only their tastes.

One of those days, I took a walk but wherever I went, there would be someone talking about Kira. Everyone was talking about how dangerous he was. In fact, I heard some saying he needs someone's name and face to kill, and that he can also decide the date of the person's death.

He's indeed dangerous. In the end, it was the right decision not to join the team in the police force. I thought.

When returned to the hotel, I went straight to my room. It felt exhausting hearing people talk about Kira like he's some celebrity. Sure he's special, but he's not a celebrity like a singer.

I turned on the TV to spend some time before dinner and suddenly came across the news.

"We bring you this show under Kira's hostage while performing our duties as journalists.  I would like you to understand we would never put this show on air with the intention of deceiving you or increasing our audience.'' the reporter said.

"Kira's hostage? What's going on?" I murmured.

"Four days ago our manager received these four tapes. It was Kira who sent them, undoubtedly. The first tape contained predictions of the date and time of death of two recently arrested suspects. These suspects died yesterday exactly on the predicted date of death. We have been specifically instructed by Kira to play the second tape today at exactly 17:59. We have the information it will contain a planned assassination, as proof it is actually Kira, as well as a message to the world."

"Are they pulling our legs? What does—"

"Please pay attention" the reporter finished. The screen went white and the word Kira appeared in artistic lettering. A computer-edited voice could be heard.

"I'm Kira. If this message is being transmitted at exactly 17:59 on October 9th, 2006, it should now be thirty-seven, thirty-eight, thirty-nine, forty seconds." he counted down.

»Now switch to Tayu TV channel. The main news anchor will die of a heart attack at six o'clock sharp."

I immediately switched to the channel he mentioned. The news anchor had collapsed on the desk and seemed to have fallen asleep sitting up.

"Oh God..." I mumbled.

"Another sacrifice must be made. The target will be someone who is now appearing live on NHN TV.  A commenter who was negative towards me. I don't remember his name though."

"Maybe he's referring to Konbajumi Seiji." someone in the next-door room said.

"We have to stop the broadcast or we'll get into trouble!"

"Am calling the Sakura TV studio!"

Within a split second, I realized that those voices in the next room sounded familiar. It was Matsuda and the other policemen! An idea popped into my head but I dismissed it outright.

No... It's not my business, it's the police's. The holidays are better. I'll stay here and if... Nah, I'd better not. It's crazy! I thought.

I looked at the TV. Someone was yelling whom Kira killed outright. I couldn't tolerate such a situation...

"Why am I even thinking about it? Whatever, happens, happens! Let it be done!" I monologued.

I grabbed my sweatshirt, hurriedly put on my shoes, and rushed for the hotel entrance. There were bicycles placed for guests to ride.