Chapter 15 [Kira's ally]

I heard noises. Voices. Sirens and even barking dogs. Their sound wasn't much clear, so I guessed they were probably hallucinations due to me being unconscious. My eyes half-opened
distinguishing a purple ceiling. A few meters away was a shadow of hedgehog-like hair. It stood there, staring at something.

I soon realized my body was inside the helicopter lying on a mattress. The cops probably noticed I was passed out on the street so they picked me up. Good thing I woke up in a helicopter and not in a hospital room. It could have been worse... "L?" I managed to utter. 

He turned to face me. "You're awakened."

"As you can see, yes..."

I tried to stand up on my own. "Please don't get up yet. Maybe your body is still recovering."

"I wouldn't do anything. Just trying to glance through the window."

"I insist. Stay where you are." his voice sounded stern. As if he yelled at me, due to I was found lying on the street.

He kneeled next to the mattress. "By the way, Matsuda found this on the street and wondered if it's yours."

He then showed the marker. "Oh yes. That's mine..." I giggled.

As soon as my head stopped feeling dizzy, I got off the helicopter to face the unexpected sight.  It would have never occurred to me that such a thing was true of Kira, let alone my partners who were professionals and had more experience than me. They should be aware of it, right?

The highway was too noisy. Cars honked, and police sirens echoed incessantly. Every now and then illuminated the passing cars with their red and white lights. I saw the third Kira in a corner trying to get away from some cops who had handcuffed him. All of them wore helmets for protection since we thought Kira could see someone's face and immediately kill them. Naturally, nothing was certain yet. It was all a matter of speculation.

I noticed my colleagues who looked surprised and scared at the same time. They were all gathered next to their police vehicle. I assumed someone would be injured, so I approached out of curiosity. Fortunately, there wasn't any injured person. The chief looked at something in the air but nothing was visible. Matsuda looked also at the same spot.

"What happened, guys? Do we have any new information?" I asked and Mogi looked at me hesitantly.

"Should I show it to her, Ryuzaki?"

"Anyone would be horrified by a similar creature. Why wouldn't it scare a child?"

"Do it, but just hold her in case she faints." Matsuda worried.

"Matsuda, don't be so melodramatic! Nothing will happen to her!" Mogi said, while my curiosity grew as I listened to their words. Did anyone die? Well, they would probably have covered the corpse with some special material. It almost looked like all of them stared at something dangling over us.

Mogi handed me a black notebook with white letters written on it. "Death Note". I wondered why, but did as was told anyway. How could a black notebook with a strange name be relevant to all these events?

Above the heads of the others, there was a black creature with a terrifying appearance. Its hair looked similar to L's, except it seemed like the creature had put its hand on a socket. It slightly hunched and smiled, showing its pointed teeth. Its wings were like a vulture's, except they were a little longer and with fewer feathers. On its back, I could see, narrow spines that reached up to the shoulders. We didn't know if it was hair or thorns. Its eyes were yellow and stared into space. Involuntarily, I clinched L's hand as soon as I saw the creature.

"There's one more, Marina," Matsuda said handing me another notebook. Touching it, I noticed another creature similar to the previous one, but this one was white and had purple hair.