Summer's Ending

Well, here it is, the resurrection of the chapter that Word lost! It did not turn out at all like I expected. I liked the original version of the chapter much better but this is the best I can do. I lost a lot of stuff that I liked and it's definitely different from what I intended, but oh well. I think you may have liked the original too, but at least I got the damn thing written.

It was her golden summer and Mary was reluctant to see it coming to a close, for the court was preparing to return to Greenwich where they would celebrate the Christmas holidays. Greenwich Palace was Henry's favorite, and he spent time there whenever he could.

She could not remember when she had felt so happy, she had transformed from the daughter Sir Thomas despised to someone who now had value and worth. She had been reluctant to submit to the king's embrace but now found herself in love.

She did not care if she and Henry must conduct their love affair in secret, it added spice to their relationship. It was enough that she could spend time with him and be not just his lover but his confidante. He would tell her the things he did not say to his advisors, and especially to Cardinal Wolsey, the butcher's son who aspired to be Pope and saw the king as his path.

The queen had benefitted from the fresh air and sunshine, Mary could see it in her face. The deep shadows under her eyes had faded and the premature lines etched in her face had softened somewhat, although too much time and grief has passed for them to disappear. Henry still loved her and valued her opinions, but she would never again resemble the young beauty he had fallen passionately in love with.

Anne and young Henry Percy were spending time in each other's company, not bothering to hide their affection for each other. Percy's betrothal to Mary Talbot did not seem to matter and more than one courtier wondered how much his father knew. His betrothal to Mary had been arranged by both the king and their families, and Percy was expected to wed her when a date was finally set. In the meantime, the betrothal was as binding as a marriage ceremony, perhaps more so. The papers had been signed, the arrangement formalized, and Henry Percy was as good as married to Mary Talbot.

This disturbed Mary, not understanding why Anne could be so careless. They were getting ready for bed when Mary finally found her courage and confronted Anne.

"What are you doing, Anne? You and Percy cannot continue to carry on as you are. He's as good married, do you think you can subvert both his father's and the king's will? If you continue this much longer Father will send you from court."

­­­­"He loves me, he doesn't love her. A betrothal can be binding, but it can also be broken. He's told me that he's going to ask his father to release him from the contract so that he can marry me. Our father is one of the most important men in the kingdom, why shouldn't I be considered a suitable match?"

"Have you given any thought to what this might do to him? They've been precontracted since 1516! She's a countess, Anne, compared to her you are a nobody. It's not up to us to decide who we marry, you know that. We not only need our parents' permission, but we must also have the consent of the king and he favors this match." Mary did not often lose her temper, but she was both frustrated and concerned for her sister.

"Once Ormond turned down the match with me what has Father done? Nothing, that's what. He married you off to the first nobody who would have you despite the reputation you brought back from France. He's doing everything for George that he can to advance his career but for me he does nothing. There are plenty of eligible bachelors here at court, it would not be hard to find a match for me. I'm the daughter of Sir Thomas Boleyn, that should more than suffice, but what good will it do if he makes no effort?"