Chateau Vert

William had been left out of the group of men who would rescue the ladies "imprisoned" in Chateau Vert. Mary wondered if this had been done on purpose to keep William away from her, leaving her free and available for the king.

An imposing wooden structure, painted green, had been built with three turrets where the ladies would be imprisoned, waiting for the gentlemen to rescue them. The ladies, the gentlemen, and the pages would attack each other with sweetmeats and rosewater, and had Mary reason to look forward to it, the masque would have proven entertaining to both participants and the audience.

After supper was finished, the ladies excused themselves to change into their costumes. The hall was cleared and the heavy wooden structure that would serve as the chateau was wheeled into the room.

Anne and Mary helped lace each other into their costumes. Anne laced Mary too tightly, saying, "The king will be the one to rescue you in the masque, you are to let him. If he expresses interest in you, you are to be receptive."

"Are these your words or Father's, and loosen my laces, they are too tight."

"Father told me to instruct you. Did you notice that your husband was not included in the performers? That was on purpose."

"Anne, do you think I do not know this? And William noticed that he was deliberately not included and guessed the reason why. He is losing his wife to the king; how do you think he is treating me now?"

"How do you think he will treat you when the king grants him more estates and titles? Maybe he will even be granted that knighthood he has desired for so long."

Mary winced. It had long been a sore point for William that Henry had not granted him the same favor possessed by so many members of the circle surrounding the king. William was still "Master Carey" and she "Mistress Carey" instead of Sir William and Lady Mary Carey.

He was related, albeit distantly, to the king. He was high in Henry's favor and served him faithfully only now he had discovered that the king had designs on his wife. What kind of king did that to someone who was as devoted as William?

"You have a poison tongue, Anne, you're no better than an adder. William's turn for a knighthood will come, it's just a matter of time. You seem as eager to destroy my marriage as father and uncle. What will happen to me when Henry tires of me? Do you think William will take me back willingly? Being the king's mistress will destroy my marriage and my reputation. None of you seem to have any concern for that."

"I care about advancing the family, and you should too. This is a great honor that is being bestowed on you, and you are acting like a petulant child. Think: the queen may no longer be fertile, what if you are able to provide him with the children she can't? He acknowledged Bessie Blount's son and named him Henry Fitz Roy. He's his only living son, do you think he'll put Princess Mary on the throne?"

"Bessie Blount had no husband at the time, Anne, or did you forget that? I have a husband, any children I give Henry will have my husband's name. By law, they will be considered legitimate, not bastards. Have you forgotten that he had to get a dispensation to marry Queen Catherine? Do father and uncle think he will set aside the queen and marry me? He couldn't have his marriage, or mine, undone, even if he wanted to. Who have you been listening to?"

She received no answer from Anne because at that moment the dancers were called to take their places, the women and pages on the wooden structure that served as "Chateau Vert". The men stood discreetly outside of the room, waiting for the moment when they would be called upon to attack the castle and rescue the women who were being held captive in its towers.

Ordinarily, she would have enjoyed this romp. There was a moment of silence before the men rushed in, clad in their cloth of gold hats and blue satin capes. Then the fun began in earnest as the rescuers came in and using ladders overcame the "Indians" that held the ladies captive.