The Theory

Wyborn and his Grandma Theory

By Emmett Rogers

At the beginning of the movie we are shown The Beldam making a doll of Coraline which is later found in Wyborn’s Grandma trunk. This makes me believe that Wyborn's Grandma is the Beldam and Wyborn is her accomplice. The Coraline doll is given to Coraline by Wyborn which he claims he found in his Grandma's trunk. The doll then spies on her throughout the movie and moves around. There are two explanations for this: Wyborn can sneak inside the house or the doll moves on its own. We also see Wyborn hanging out with the cat who is an enemy to the Beldam. Perhaps the cat doesn't know Wyborn is helping the Beldam or the cat knows Wyborn will have a change of heart. Nearing the end of Coraline is locked up with the ghost and is saved by Wyborn who betrays the other mother. But why would he betray his own Grandma? Two reasons: the other father (who could be Wyborns Grandpa or just a creation of the Beldam) convinces Wyborn to help Coraline because of what the Beldam plans to do to her or he became friends with Coraline while hanging out and wants to help her. After the Beldam finds out about Wyborns betrayal she locks him up but hangs his clothes on a pole that is attached to  Mr. Bobinsky’s room to make Coraline think that Wyborn has been killed and that she is alone in this fight. After the fight between the Beldam and Coraline, Coraline escapes but is followed by the beldams hand. Wyborn helps destroy the hand this either because he has been manipulated by his Grandma and tries to regain Coraline's trust so his Grandma can still get her or he betrays his Grandma again. If he betrayed his Grandma again he would return to her and become manipulated and help the Beldam. Wyborn and his Grandma are invited to the pink house for a garden party. Which they do go to. Maybe gain her trust and invite her to Grandma's house and take Coraline's soul.

Plot holes I’ll try to cover up and more info: 

Wyborn tries to take the doll back to his Grandma but is chased off. Coraline later finds a doll of her dad which would mean Wyborn got the doll and The Beldam changed it.

Wybrons Grandma is the owner of the pink house and let Coraline move in because she just wants another soul. If you think about it, her plan is incredibly smart. Being a homeowner and letting families move into that home and lure in children to take their souls.

We are shown the cat being friends with Wyborn but at the end of the movie we are shown him leaving by walking behind the pink palace sign. This could mean that he knows Wyborn is now controlled by the Beldam and decides to leave.

The other father being Wyborns Grandpa would make sense since he would be married to the other mother who is his Grandma. This could also mean that the other father is betraying his wife and convincing his grandson that Coraline needs their help.

The doll at beginning was the Grandma's sister which would mean the Grandma was the Beldam at birth and needed or wanted souls and her sister were close which meant they trusted each other which would be perfect for the Beldam.

Why wouldn't Grandma's sister be a beldam too? Either she was and the Grandma was getting rid of competition or the Grandma’s parents cheated on each other or adopted her.

If Wyborn was able to move the doll around he could've used the door that leads to the other world. But you might think that he would still have to break into the pink house. But I think that there is another entrance to the other world inside of Wyborns Grandma’s house. This would make sense because it would explain how his Grandma can reach the other world.

If The Beldam was the Grandma then how does she look like the Grandma? We are shown that the Beldam can shapeshift when she becomes Coraline's mother and lures her back into the other world. So the body she uses is just a disguise.

    Thank You For Your Time.