Zero

Some time had passed since that day in the hospital when I had opened my eyes. I was officially living with Yuki and Headmaster now. Kaname came by often to visit Yuki, and I was always off in my room during those visits, drawing. My 11th birthday had just passed by, and soon enough, winter was here.

  Everyone had tried to celebrate my birthday, but I ruined everything by smashing the cake into Headmaster's face, throwing the knife at Kaname, and popping all the balloons in Yuki's face. What? I was in a bad mood that day. Yuki had accidentally thrown out my knife collection along with the trash.

  Some type of irritating thing always had to happen the day of my birthday every year with the Cross family. It was like that every year, but yet they still tried. I didn't even know why Kaname bothered to celebrate since I hated him and ignored him. For Yuki's sake, perhaps? To make the little, annoying, naive girl happy?

  As for Yuki... Yuki always tried to be as nice to me as possible, trying to be my friend. I always ignored her, barely speaking to her. How could she be friends with a Pureblood vampire? How could she be so happy? Why did she even try, knowing full well that I disliked her? There was also something that felt off about her as well.

  I was in the living room one day with Yuki, carving drawings into the couch with a sharp pear knife I found in the kitchen. She was trying to stop me, saying, "Kurami-chan! Stop! You'll get in trouble with Headmaster!" Chan? What the hell? Since when was I a subject of affection to her? I hated her with every inch of my being.

  I sneered at her. "Who gives a damn about that old geezer? Now shut up and leave me alone!" 4 minutes later, she was lying on the floor on her back, with me sitting on her stomach, threatening to stab her with the knife.

  "Leave me alone and stop trying to be my friend! Do you realize how annoying you are to me?! How much you make me SICK?!" I threw the knife down so that it impaled the floor right next to her face. She gave me a shocked look, turning pale, unable to say anything out of terror of nearly being stabbed. "Stay out of my damn business, you stupid little brat." I growled, getting up, nearing the stairs.

  The door flew open then, and I silently jumped a few steps to hide from whoever was at the door. It was Headmaster and a boy around me and Yuki's age. "Yuki! Kurami! Sorry I'm late! This is Zero Kiryu. His family was killed by these bad vampires." Zero Kiryu? His family were well known vampire hunters. Killed? That must have been horrible. I felt some sympathy toward him, but not much. I studied him a bit, still remaining hidden on the stairs.

  Zero had straight silver hair, and dead, flat, emotionless lavender eyes. He was bloody, especially around the neck. I looked at him a little more. He gave off a weird vibe. Like it was full of hate yet misery. I almost felt sorry for him.

  He looked at Yuki, not noticing me since I was on the stairs. I decided to quietly make my escape, until Yuki ratted me out. "Kurami-chan! Come down! There's a boy that needs our help!" I froze mid-step, and could feel a pair of eyes burning into my back. I slowly turned, Zero staring at me. "Don't...call me...Kurami-chan..." I gritted out, glaring at Yuki from the banister. I turned back toward Zero, grimacing. "Yuki...you help him...I'm going to my room..."

  There was a tutting noise from the door, and I glared down at the person who was doing it. Headmaster? It figured. Jeez, I couldn't make a clean escape in this house without someone stopping me or ratting me out! Just once I wanted to get away without anything stopping me.

  "Now, now, Kurami-chan! Be nice and help Yuki clean Zero up!" Headmaster called, an evil glint in his eyes that said, I will force you to spend a day with Yuki if you don't come and help out. I sweat dropped, shuffling down the stairs, depressed, a gloomy cloud settling over me. "Come with us." Yuki said kindly, leading Zero up the stairs. I went ahead, deciding to take a bath to avoid her and him, which would also give me an excuse not to help.