Chapter 1

I loved the boardwalk. I loved the cool breeze, the salty air, the roar of the waves, the bustle of the crowds, and the strawberry taffy. There was something peaceful about the chaos of the boardwalk. Whether it was the noise of the people, or the smell of fish, or maybe it was just the goosebumps that rose on my arms and legs that made me feel something. It's unexplainable. There's no way to describe the boardwalk unless you've been there, and in that case, you don't need another description.

It was Saturday morning at the boardwalk. Tourists were just starting to swarm the vendors. Genevieve and I strolled down the pier with ice cream in our hands. She had chocolate, but I had vanilla. The sun was beating down, causing it to drip down our fingers.

"See? I told you chocolate melts faster than vanilla!" I exclaimed as Genevieve wiped the sticky mess off her hands.

"Lucky guess," Genevieve muttered, throwing her napkins away in an exaggerated fuss. I laughed as we continued to the end of the pier.

"So school ended yesterday and the most exciting plans we come up with to kick off summer is eating ice cream on the pier?" I said, shaking my head. Genevieve shrugged and licked her ice cream.

"Yeah. I mean what could be better than this?" I looked out across the ocean. There was something special about the ocean too. It seemed almost infinite, not like something dark loomed ahead, but like something hopeful was at the end.

"I don't know, maybe going to a party, going on a road trip, meeting boys," I speculated. Gen rolled her eyes.

"Boys? Whatever. I'm much happier with ice cream," she proclaimed. Now it was my turn to roll my eyes.

"Says the one who had like six boyfriends this year."

"Only five because I don't count Caleb."

"Whatever."

We stood there for a while. As time passed, the noise increased. My ice cream dripped onto my hands, forcing me to lick it off like a five year old because Gen used all the napkins. She laughed, and I glared. Then we walked back down the pier and went home. So that was Saturday. Except for one minor detail.

"Shoot. I have to go home. I promised I'd help my mom with this photo shoot thing. It's stupid, but I have to go," Gen said, looking down at her phone.

Her mom was a photographer for fashion magazines, and even did a couple shots for sports magazines. She had this amazing studio in her basement. Even though Gen had zero fashion sense, she was a photography prodigy. She didn't even try and it came out perfect every time. I loved photography too, but my phone was the most expensive camera I owned, and I could hardly take a picture of something that was standing still.

"Yeah, of course, go ahead," I insisted, "I have a feeling we don't have anything booked for next Saturday, or any Saturday all summer." Gen smirked.

"Ten o'clock. I'll be here," she said before taking off.

I sighed and sat on a bench, watching the crowds go in and out like the tides. Sometimes it was crowded, and you couldn't see. Lines would stretch for a mile. Then it would be dead. All you could hear was the crashing of waves. It was like people were the ocean, but I was nothing more than a rock on the beach. I was there day after day, but did nothing except observe the tides go in and out. The ocean didn't notice me either. I wasn't in their way, so to them, I was nonexistent. Until Saturday.

"Hey!" said a boy with blue eyes and short brown hair. He was kind of tall, taller than me at least. I recognized him, but I didn't remember his name. Maybe if I ignored him he would leave, and spare me the awkward exchange.