Chapter 4

My phone exploded overnight. Well, not literally exploded, but it probably could have. There was a flood of text messages from a number I didn't recognize. They weren't in my contacts, but they definitely thought they had the right number. 162 messages filled my notifications, and they weren't very friendly.

Hey where did you go

Where are you

Answer me

I just walked past your house but you're not home

Did I do something

Where the f**k are you

I can't believe I f**king trusted you

You don't f**king care do you

Friends don't f**king leave randomly without an excuse and then ignore each other

Stop f**king ignoring me b***h

I hate you

I really need to talk it's important

Whatever f**k you

I'm so f**king done with you and trying with you it's not f**king worth it

Those were some of the kinder messages. I knew who it was, but I felt it was a little late to text back. He was right; I had basically deserted him without a word. I wondered how he got my number though. These texts didn't really seem like they were from Peter. He seemed so easy going, and not exactly one to use vulgar language like that. I knew he could get a little hot-headed, as he demonstrated in school, but this just didn't seem like him. Was he really that angry? I mean it was just a walk anyway. He was allowed to be pissed for me leaving without a word, but not because I left.

"Brijit!" my mom hollered from the bottom of the stairs. I groaned and locked my phone. "Get up! You have work today." Oh. Right. Work. That means getting up and getting dressed and trying to feel energetic. Time to spend six hours in an empty ice cream shop with an old lady who is, yes, adorable and sweet in every aspect, except for the fact that last time we spoke I felt a little invaded by her question about my personal life. I rolled out of bed and put on somewhat presentable clothes. It couldn't totally matter, I had to wear an apron anyway.

I trotted down the stairs, almost falling on the last one, to get breakfast. There was a wide assortment of options; Lucky Charms, Cheerios, or some kind of healthy grain cereal with 14 vitamins, gluten free, no fat, no sugar, whole wheat stuff. I grabbed the box of Lucky Charms and sat down at the table, eating out of the box with my hand. Mom would kill me if she saw me, but her back was to me because she was facing the TV. As I finished eating, I stood up and put the box back on the counter.

"Did you wash the bowl you used?" Mom asked, not looking away from whatever reality TV show she was watching.

"Uh, yeah." I answered. It was an honest answer. I just didn't use a bowl.

"Have a great day sweetie," Mom said, waving me out the door with her hand. The show must've been getting really good.

"Yeah, you too. I'll be home before dinner," I told her as I was walking out the door.

The outside air was warm and humid, and it felt just like summer. The sun was shining, the waves crashed along the shore, and people swarmed the pier. My hair flew back in the breeze. It was like something out of a movie. The only problem with this being a movie is that nothing exciting happened. My life consisted of waking up, going to school, and going to bed. Not nearly exciting enough to be a movie.