Chapter 6

It had been three days since my ridiculous meltdown, and I was regretting everything that happened. I let Peter see me weak and vulnerable. Gen practically had to babysit me. I cried in public and I didn't even know why. I didn't know anything. Ever since the first day with Peter, I didn't understand anything. I hated not understanding.

My mom suggested that I do something social. I refused to leave the house, even if it was just to get the mail from the mailbox. I didn't change out of my baggy sweats and tank top. I wasn't depressed, I was just reclusive. My brain still couldn't take all the lies from Peter. All I needed was some time alone, which is what I was doing. Netflix and Cheetos in my room was a great way to clear my thoughts.

Around noon, when I finally decided to roll out of bed, my phone rang. Gen was calling. She hadn't checked up on me since Tuesday. Maybe she thought it was better for me to be alone. That's what I seemed to think, but deep down, I knew that wasn't the truth. I longed to hear her voice again, just to say hi and make sure I was okay.

"Hey," I mumbled groggily, rubbing my eyes.

"Did I wake you up?" Gen asked. I could imagine her looking at her clock, wondering if it was actually noon or not.

"No, no, you're good. What's up?" I continued the conversation. I didn't need a lecture on how laying in bed wouldn't solve any problems. So far, it seemed to be working.

"Well, I was wondering if you wanted to come to a bonfire on the beach tonight? It'll be super fun, and it'll get you out of the house," Gen proposed. I was instantly suspicious.

"My mom put you up to this, didn't she?" I asked, doubting the genuineness of her offer.

"What? No. I don't know what you're talking about, but I know you. I know you're probably laying in bed, haven't changed clothes, and there are potato chip crumbs all over your sheets."

"Close, but it's actually Cheetos."

"And that's so much better," she retorted sarcastically. We were quiet for a moment while she waited for my answer.

"Sure. Pick me up whenever." Gen agreed to that and hung up after saying bye. I knew had to do something. I couldn't possibly let a boring, insignificant high school friendship turn me into a depressing slob. That's not who I was. So I decided to crawl out of bed, eat some real food, take a shower, and put on new clothes. It was about time, anyway.

When seven o'clock came around, I was beginning to have second thoughts. Gen would be there any minute. We were going to go to a social event with real people other than just us. Peter could be there. But then again, Peter was probably the most antisocial person I knew. I wondered how we were even friends if he didn't do anything social. It was probably better that we didn't hang out.

I pulled at the straps of my red bikini, which was covered up by a white crop top. My shorts felt uncomfortable on my legs. I had never really showed that much skin. I hated my legs. Maybe I should go change. Maybe I shouldn't go at all. I'll just tell Gen I'm sick. As I debated whether or not I should run upstairs and hide, Gen pulled in. Now I had to go. I walked out the door, saying a quick goodbye and climbing into the passenger seat of Gen's car.

"You look cute," Gen told me as soon as I got in. I blushed and smiled, tugging at my clothing.

"Thanks, I guess," I mumbled half-heartedly, "Do you know if there's going to be a lot of people, or just like a couple of the people we're close with in the class?" Gen shrugged.

"Don't know. It's supposed to be pretty low-key. I wouldn't drag you into anything crazy with the state your in."

"What are you talking about? I'm fine. Don't treat me like my heart's been broken and you have to tread carefully. It wasn't broken. There was no one to break it," I defended quickly. Everyone was treating me like I had been hurt. I mean, I had been, but not like Peter had broken my heart. He didn't even have that kind of power over me. No one did.