Why?

The car ride back to La Push was silent. My mind was racing.

Why? Why did he have to come back? He's just going to make things worse. I couldn't deal with this right now. Not with everything happening. I had to keep my mind on Jake, he was all that mattered to me. Edward was just another thing from my past coming back to haunt me.

Emily pulls into Billy's driveway and I hop out of the car. I Sprint towards the front door, my bag on my shoulder, I can feel the tears threatening to spill over. I just needed to be with Jake. I bump into something hard, the pain shooting through my arm. I fell to the ground, my ass on the floor.

"Ouch." I say. A pale hand leans down and I grab it. It's ice cold, I already know who it is without glancing upwards.

"Thanks... Carlisle." I say, I try not to look into his eyes because if I do I know I'll see the hurt. I rush past him and into the living room. Everyone is piled and crammed in Billy's small house. The temperature is really hot. All eyes are on me, everyones looking at me with pity.

I push past everyone and into Jake's room. He's sweaty and passed out. I sit next to his bed on the floor and grab one of his hands.

"Jake you fucking idiot. I told you to be careful. Why are you so damn stubborn?" I whisper. I lean my head next to his and listen to his breathing. It's a little ragged, quicker than usual.

"He came back Jake. He came back to ruin my life all over again. Can't he just leave? I've found somebody that makes me happy and loves me and protects me, and most importantly I know you'll never leave me the way he did. So why the hell did he even come back here? He saw I wasn't dead so why stay!" I feel a tear slip out of my eye and fall down my face. I looked at Jake lying on the bed sweating and in pain.. It hurt so bad.

"I love you Jake." I whisper.

"Love you too Bells." I hear him mumble.

"You're awake!" I feel my heart flutter and have to stop myself from throwing myself around him in a hug.

"Barely... I feel like shit." He mumbles. I kiss him softly and he quickly deepens the kiss, he grips at me with his good arm and he tries to grab me and bring me closer, but I gently shove him back down.

"You're gonna hurt yourself, calm it down Jake. " I say with a small laugh. He scoots over just enough for me to lay down next to him. I cuddle in close and automatically feel better.

"You scared the crap out of me. I thought I lost you." I feel the tears falling and I feel his warm hand brush them away.

"I made a promise." He whispers. I smile and kiss his cheek.

"Please don't ever do that to me again." I say.

"I will always protect you Bella, even if it means hurting myself.. Giving my life for you. Understand that." I just nodded against him, it was late and I could feel the drowsiness in my eyes. I breathed in his scent and fell asleep next to the boy I love.