Friends & Lovers

"Maggots. This kid's been here awhile" said Grissom as he and I were kneeling over the body while Warrick was taking photos and the Coroner was standing behind him as we were in the desert.

"No gunshot wounds. No stab marks. No signs of strangulation" I said as I turned the body on it's side as Warrick kept taking photos.

"It's a long way out in the sticks just to drop dead" said Warrick as Grissom stands up and looks around.

"Not if you're being chased. Look at the foot patterns leading up to the body. See the strides? This kid was running. See the left foot impression? It's straight; that's normal. But look at the right foot impression. It's turned outward. Almost 90 degrees" I said as Grissom and Warrick looked at the prints.

"She's right

"She's right. He was looking over his shoulder when he was running. Think there was somebody else here?" asked Warrick.

"Based on these prints, it's hard to tell" said Grissom.

"Can I get this taped off here?" asked Warrick to an officer.

"Yes, sir" said the officer as he began taping it off.

"So you want to call it? How do you think he died?" asked Warrick as Grissom and I kneeled down by the body again.

"If I were to guess...Fear. Someone chased this kid to death" I said.

"We'll know more when we get him back to the morgue" said Grissom as we allowed the Coroners to take the body.

We drove back to the lab and I was in the breakroom drinking a soda when I walked out into the hallway in time to see Grissom handing out assignment slips.

"Warrick, you and I are on the four-nineteen – our dead body in the desert" said Grissom as he hands the assignment slip to him and Warrick takes it.

"Sara, dead body of your own. Dumpsite out near Henderson. Take Melanie with you" said Grissom as he passed her the assignment slip.

"Oh, we'll dress down" said Sara.

"Catherine, Verbum Dei Charter School. Four-twenty homicide. The school dean was killed in his office. Suspect called it in; could be self-defense" said Grissom as Catherine takes the slip.

"Did some kid off him with a silver spoon?" asked Catherine as we were walking down the hallway.

"Suspect's not a kid. It's the woman who founded the school. Take Nicky with you" said Grissom.

Where is he?" asked Catherine.

"Here I am" said Nick as he rushes out of a room and runs to catch up with us.

"You're coming with me" said Catherine as she held out the assignment slip to Nick. He grabs it and looks at it.

"Glad you could make it" I said giggling as Nick smiles and stares at me.