Chapter 2

"Stay close to me, (Y/n)

"Stay close to me, (Y/n)." Joonghyuk pulled you close to him as the both of you stood in the subway car 3707. A worried look was in your eyes as you stared at the fluffy dokkaebi. What was going on?

First, there was a terrorist in your subway, now a weird floating creature. This all felt like some sort of weird fever dream, but...

[The constellation 'Secretive Plotter' greets incarnation '(Y/n) (L/n)'.]

"Ah... Hello, Secretive... Plotter?" You furrowed your eyebrows at the weird blue screen in front of you. A weird sense of deja vu was overcoming you the more these strange things added up, but you brushed it off for now. Turning to your long-time friend, you looked at him in worry once you saw the stone-cold expression on his face. "Joonghyuk, what's going on?"

"I'll explain later. Here," he took off his black coat and draped it over your head, obcsuring your view from everything, "stay like this for a while, and don't look until I tell you to."

Even though you were anxious and worried about this weird situation, you nodded, holding the coat closer to your face and smiled at him even though he couldn't see it. "...Alright, I trust you."

A small pat on your head was the response you got.

The sound of something clattering against the floor was all you heard, then protective arms wrapped around you. Then-

BOOM!!

The force of an explosion shook the subway carriage, and the arms around you held onto you tightly so that you wouldn't fly away. You recognized it to be Joonghyuk's toned arms. What on earth was going on?!

"You can look now. There's one left for you."

The coat was taken off your head, and your eyes widened at what you saw. Dead bodies everywhere, all of them blown up by whatever explosion there was. One was still alive, weakly crawling towards the two of you as he desperately reached out.

Was... this what the dokkaebi meant when he said to kill one or more living organisms? Then, who...?

"Did you do this, Joonghyuk...?" Your wide eyes stared at him. Shock at how your friend could do such a thing. "Joonghyuk..."

Your hand reached out and gently wiped a smudge of blood off of his cheek. Even though he had just brutally massacred a bunch of people, you still treated him with a gentleness that he couldn't believe.

It was strange to you how numb you felt. While you did feel empathy for them, it felt as if you were disassociating to cope with your emotions. You wanted to cry, to scream at Joonghyuk, to feel a sort of rage at him, but your soft heart hurt too much to do that to him. You already knew that deep down inside of him he had already felt a bit of guilt for their deaths.

Eyes softening, you looked at the pitiful man who was barely hanging onto life. "Do... Do I need to kill to survive?"

No matter what he did he would always protect you. That's why he put his coat on you, to shield you from the bloodshed even if it meant that his own black clothes were bloodstained now. He was still your friend, and you could see it in the surprising gentleness in his eyes. He nodded, a solemn look in his face.