Chapter 5 - Save You

Author's Note: Yes, this is the end. :)

~ Amina Gila

Leia feels strangely frozen on the ground as she watches everything unfold. Or maybe it's the simple knowledge that they're probably all about to die and there's nothing she can do about it, so all she can do is... accept it.

(It's not a prospect she'd inherently mind.)

She was expecting Vader to do something, but definitely not what he does do. He extinguishes his lightsaber, deflecting away the first barrage of shots with the Force, which rip through at least a fourth of the advancing Imperials, before he reaches for his left arm.

She can only blink in total confusion, because he seems to be twisting the wires inside of it or something, and – What is he even doing?

All she knows is that she senses a wave of nearly agonizing pain from him, and she suddenly has the horrified, sickening feeling that he's hurting himself, because – why?!

The Force whips even more violently around him, and she wonders if that was the point, as he forms an energy shield around all of them.

Including Ben, who he definitely could have left out of it, if he really wanted to.

It doesn't take long after that, for the rest of the Imperials to be destroyed. And those who aren't dead turn and take off, retreating into the trees far faster than they came.

Leia hardly dares to breathe a sigh of relief, the sound of the explosions and blaster shots still ringing in her ears. She climbs to her feet gingerly, approaching Vader.

He's standing in the middle of the clearing still, though for some reason, she has the distinct feeling he's not nearly as okay as he looks. On multiple levels.

"Father, are you –" Luke begins.

"Yes," Vader assures, before he can even finish.

He takes a step forward, and there's a sudden very loud snap, before he abruptly faceplants on the ground, taking Ben with him.

One of his legs seems to have practically snapped off – the same one that was damaged earlier.

Ben releases a most undignified yelp as he tries to disentangle himself from the metal limbs on top of him. Vader is trying just as quickly, but he seems to have very little proper coordination in his armor, at least not once he's on the ground.

It would almost be comical, if she wasn't suddenly so scared that he's actually seriously hurt. She –

She doesn't want anything to happen to him. She doesn't want to lose him. Not him too, like she has everyone else in her family.

Maybe it makes no sense that she already considers him her family, but she can't help it.

"What are you doing?" Ben snaps, whatever such a question is even supposed to mean. And she's not sure which of them shoves the other away harder as they attempt to navigate out of the pile on the ground.

Vader moves into a very awkward sitting position on the ground, given that he can't stand right now. He's missing part of his leg, and she has no idea what they're going to do about that.

Ben climbs to his feet, still looking decidedly miffed. Although she could swear she feels worry underlying his anger, and can't help wondering if – if he's even aware that he's feeling it. He does still care about Vader, then, even if... it's something he wouldn't even admit to himself. Perhaps if he did, if they would actually talk to one another, and they'd both have more of a chance of healing. Maybe.