Journey Along the Kingsroad

During the first few weeks of our journey, I was relieved that I seemed to have been granted an excuse from being under Septa Mordane's ever-watchful gaze but not from Joffrey's lingering glances. For days, I continuously reassured Sansa that her Prince's gaze did not stay on me only to watch her stomp away. Frustrated by her growing snobbish behavior, I whispered prayers to the Old Gods to help me keep my patience.

As the weeks continued, I silently observed Sansa taking on more of Queen Cersei's characteristics. At the same time, Arya hurried off to seek a playmate amongst the villages we traveled through before Septa could wrangle her into another lesson. Wayward, I found myself drifting to the numerous discussions between Poole, Jory, and Father on our household's conduct when we reached the Red Keep. "You will defer to Ilyanna while I detained with matters of the Small Council." Poole nodded as Father turned to discuss guard rotation with Jory when Sansa snapped, "that's not fair."

Startled, I glanced at her, and before I could ask what was wrong, she moaned, "Father, does Arya have to join me in the Queen's carriage?" Father glanced at her momentarily before saying, "Arya and Ilyanna will join you, or you will not go." She huffed and stomped before saying, "she ruins everything." Surprised at her unladylike behavior, Father blinked as I uttered, "Sansa, I agree with Father." I shook my head no before saying, "you will not join the Queen in her carriage if we are not with you." Blinking back tears, she uttered, "you two ruin everything," before stomping away. Groaning, I glanced at the men in my company before saying, "why couldn't you give me more brothers, Father." He gapped as I walked away, feeling a heavy lingering gaze follow my retreat.

Days later, we halted outside Oldstone after receiving Lord Frey's hospitality. Arya and I were walking through our temporary camp when I heard, "well, are you two not pretty." Stopping, I turned to observe a Lannister guard smirking at us. "Let us go, sister." Arya hung back to glare at the soldier when he laughed and moved to intercede us when we heard, "leave them be, Hawick." The soldier spun and muttered, "Ser Jaime, I did not mean..." Surprised, I watched Lannister saunter over and stare at the man before saying, "I don't care what you meant. Now go before I decide to follow my Father's example." With a mumbled apology, the soldier tensed and hurried off, leaving me with an annoyed Arya and a smug knight. "You didn't have to threaten him." Lannister glanced from me to Arya. "Threaten him? How did I threaten him, my Lady." Arya sneered at him before saying, "you told him that you would follow your Father's example, suggesting you drown him like House Reyne and Tarbeck." His smirk faltered as I laid my hand on Arya's shoulder.

"Forgive my sister for her provoked words." Arya tensed beneath my hold. "She is an advent reader of history and merely heard the tale as the song is sung often among the men in your sister's employment." His frown returned as he turned his attention to me. "If you would excuse us, we will leave you to your duties." I gently urged Arya to turn away, only to be interrupted by his saying, "you have no stomach for the tale."Stopping, I opened my mouth to respond when he said, "or do you prefer tales of knights and ladies." Breathing out, I uttered, "tales of knights, ladies, and drowning do not matter if there is no truth in them." With a bow, I nudged Arya onward while a mixture sang the rains of Casterme and Jenny of Oldstone.