Of masks and men

Nessy caught hold of Rose and made her sit on a bench outside the classroom.

'Tell me everything,' she said before Rose could ask any questions. 'Each and every thing. Who was that guy and what's up with those gifts?'

After telling her the whole story from the airport to Alaska in an official way, leaving out the personal parts, Rose was interrupted by Nessy. 'And you believe that he coming here is just a coincidence?'

'Of course not. I don't think that there's anything more obvious than that. But until he admits it, I can't really question him. And I don't think he's going to disappear anywhere soon, so I have plenty of time.'

Rose stopped talking, hoping that Nessy wouldn't ask any more questions. There was only so much she could talk without dying of exhaustion. Well, except for some people. She heard a voice and turned to see Alan, who was right behind her.

'Rose, can you come here for a sec?'

'I'll see you in class.' She told Nessy and went to stand near the corner.

'Do you know about the assignment we got today?'

'Um, the seniors and juniors combined project thing right?'

'Right. Will you be my partner?' He blurted before his courage could start wearing off.

'Okay. We have plenty of time. Two months, I think.'

'Yeah, we'll discuss it in the café. I'll be late for class. Later.' He touched her cheek and disappeared.

In class, a good looking Goth guy came and sat next to Rose. He extended his hand towards her and said, 'Declan.'

Rose shook his hand. 'Rosella ... and this is Nessy.' She gestured towards Nessy who replied with a bored 'Hi'.

Nessy whispered in her ear. 'Do you like him? I don't.'

'I don't hate him and he hasn't pointed a knife yet, so I think he's okay.'

She waved down a hand. 'Did you hear about the fresher's party?' she asked in a loud voice.

'What?' Rose was completely oblivious.

'Where do you live? Didn't you hear the announcement yesterday?'

'I didn't,' Declan added in a low voice.

'It's a masquerade party and the dress code is anything dark. Like black, purple, brown and stuff.' She sounded a bit excited. 'And you have to bring a date, of course.'

'Forget about it,' Rose shrugged. 'I'm not coming anyways.'

'Why?'

'I wanted to ask you as my date.' Declan sounded disappointed.

'I hate parties. Besides, who wants to bring a date? It's just not my thing,' Rose said.

'You have to come,' Declan insisted.

'Sorry. I guess you have to take someone else. I'd like to stay home than go to a party.'

'Whatever,' Declan muttered angrily.

Rose wanted to pacify him but then decided that he would calm down eventually. The rest of the day passed with Declan avoiding her and Nessy throwing her confused glances.

Rose wanted to hurry back home. As much as she hated it, tomorrow was the last day to move in the dorms. That would mean leaving Mrs. M, and sharing rooms with some scary stranger. Even the thought of leaving Mrs. M made her want to cry.