Jet lag

After a tiny nap and a twenty minute drive, Rosella was standing on the porch of her new temporary house. She knocked the door and waited. Just as she was about to try the doorbell, a tiny old lady opened the door. She had long grey hair and green eyes. It was difficult to recognize her features but it seemed like she must've been pretty during her youth.

The house was one of those tiny warm, cottages with a country feel to it. It was beautiful, well maintained and minimalist, looking like it had been barely renovated since the last twenty years. For Rose, the whole place was very welcoming because it seemed to suit her habit of privacy.

'Ah dear!' the old lady said in a very warm and sweet voice, 'You must be Rosina, right?'

'Um, Rosella actually,' she replied not feeling the least bit offended. Who could get offended by such a nice person?

'Oh, sorry dear,' the lady ushered her in. 'Anyways, I'm Martha and you can call me well, anything. I don't mind. Come in,' she closed the door behind them. 'It's pretty cold outside.'

'Thanks Mrs. M. Do you live here, alone ? '

'Yes darling. There's a room upstairs so make yourself comfortable,' she smiled. 'I've cleaned it up for you.'

'Thank you.' Rose gave her an affectionate smile.

'Now tell me, what do you want to eat?'

'Actually,' Rose said, 'I am really tired now. Could you make lunch for me along with yours?'

'Okay, you go and get some sleep. Leave your things here and then we can unpack later.'

'Thanks. Good... morning, I guess?' Rose said, before smiling at her once again.

Rose went and entered the only room which was upstairs. It was simple the solid wooden furniture like the rest of the house. The bathroom old, but at least it had a bathtub which made her feel lucky. There was a simple double bed with black bedspreads. She thanked god for the wonderful room, kicked off her shoes and fell asleep without even trying to.

It was two in the noon when she woke up again. Sunlight filtered in through the windows and her jet lag was almost completely gone. After showering and brushing her teeth she went downstairs. The smell of freshly baked bread filled her nostrils. Mrs. M smiled and made her to sit on one of the chairs. The dining room had a beautiful view and instead of the street, she could see the tiny garden and the guava tree in it.

A month from now she would be in college in her own dorm room with new people and new problems. Why couldn't she just stay here and relax? Anyways forget it. Why worry now when stress is going to catch up within no time? She concentrated on eating instead. After that, despite Mrs. M's insistence, she did all the dishes herself. Then she started shifting all her luggage in the room and arranging her closet. By the time she finished, it was dark outside. Tired, she went and sat on the porch with Mrs. M. They chatted for a while and Mrs. M told her that she had lived alone for the last ten years after her husband's passing. She was a simple lady who never spoke unnecessarily. It made Rose feel at ease because that meant that there was no need for fake socializing.

She went up to her room and decided to call her mom. Mom was probably worrying herself out, thinking of her. She dialed her number and waited. It rang for a long time before mom picked up.

'Darling, why didn't you call me? I was so worried, you know. How are you? Did you reach home? How is that lady? Is she looking after you well?'

Rosella interrupted her and said, 'Mama, I was tired and then I went to sleep. I just finished arranging everything. I just wanted you to know that I reached safely. I'll call you tomorrow, okay? Just promise me that you won't worry.'

'But....'

'Mama,' she said sternly.

'Okay, but you have to tell me everything tomorrow.'

'Fine,' Rose smiled.

'How is it over there?'

Lonely and sad, at the same time beautiful- she replied mentally. But it could be my home in the future.

'It's beautiful,' she said, leaving out the rest of her answer. 'I could get used to this place.'

'Do you miss me?' her mom asked even though it wasn't a question.

'You have no idea,' she replied. 'How long did you cry for?'

'My eyes are dry now.' Her voice sounded weak. 'I love you.'

'I love you too.' She sighed. 'Bye.'

She hung up, still tired and decided to sleep right after dinner. It would probably take a few days to get used to the new routine.

***

Alan couldn't fall asleep no matter what. Who thought that meeting a person could change him so much? How could he be so foolish? He didn't even ask her phone number. God, how did he let her get away? Now, he had actually lost her.

He continued thinking of her, the pain in her beautiful timeless eyes. They were so different from his own which usually shined with amusement and mischief. He wanted to know so many things about her. He knew that she was a brave and strong girl but she wasn't exactly helping herself by burying her emotions. He wanted her to feel again. The emotions she was running away from weren't actually that bad. She hadn't really experienced love. He wanted to prove that true love actually did exist and they weren't just fairy tale things. He wanted to heal her.

Was it so easy to forget someone? Would he be able to forget her? First of all, how was he going to find her? The questions kept increasing and his head was spinning. So he lay on his bed, and simply imagined her face. He imagined her happy and smiling. Beautiful.... that was the last thought he had before he drifted off to sleep.

A/N : Thank you for reading chapter 2. I would like to hear anything and everything you have to say. So make sure you like, comment, follow and vote. Also, tell me what do you think will happen next. Until the next chapter then...