Carn-Evil

Y/n plopped down onto the floor, grabbing their shiny shoes, pulling them close to put them on.

"I'm going to the carnival, Ma!" They called to their mother, who was in the kitchen making breakfast.

"Not before you eat, Y/n L/n!" Their mother, Leilani, called back. "The last time you went out before eatin' that poor Dice found you in the street-"

"Ma! Can we not remind me about that?" Y/n hushed their mother hurriedly, walking into the kitchen.

Leilani rolled her eyes, setting a plate of bacon on the table.

"Right, right, course, dear."

Y/n pulled their chair out and sat down, grabbing a fistful of bacon and shoving it into their mouth. Leilani laughed at this, sitting across from her child.

"You're starting to remind me of those cup brothers." She said before taking a sip of her coffee.

"Cuphead and Mugman? Hah, nah." Y/n waved a dismissive hand at her, mumbling through a mouthful of food. "Theys nice n all, but I really don't see it."

Leilani gave Y/n a 'look' and sat her coffee on the table. Y/n rolled their eyes and continued eating, only pausing when their mother spoke up.

"Let's see," She said, "you hang out with those brothers for a couple of days, and if you don't have fun, or don't see how you're similar, you won't have to do your chores for a week."

"Ehhhh..."

Leilani sighed, "a week and a half."

"Deal!" They hopped up onto the table to shake their mother's hand.

Leilani rolled her eyes and swatted her kid's hand away, "no standing on the table!"

"Right. Right, sorry!" Y/n giggled, tumbling down to the floor again. "Ack!"

"Y/n, honey," Leilani smiled, shaking her head, "Don't forget your water bottle."

"Thanks, Ma!"

Y/n snatched their water bottle, stood up and smoothed their f/c dress out, and zoomed out the door. Leilani hummed, watching as her kid got smaller through the doorframe.

"Three...two...o-"

"I forgot something, ma!" Y/n skidded to a stop in front of Leilani, who smiled lovingly down at them.

"And what's that, dear?"

"This!" They sat their water bottle down and hopped up to be eye-level with their mom, giving her a kiss on the cheek and a quick hug.

Leilani giggled and watched Y/n zoom off again, "have fun, sweetheart!"

[ a little while later ]

"How haven't I seen them noids yet?" Y/n kicked at a pebble on the ground, huffing.

*authors note, my friend and I headcanon that the characters say words a certain way, so it's spelt different. ex, nerds is noids, jerks is joiks, so on and so forth.

Then their attention was turned to a crowd of people gazing at someone playing a game called "soul-ball."

"Eh?"

Y/n pushed their way through the crowd to see who everyone was gawking at. They got a few nasty looks, to which they returned. Y/n rolled their eyes and turned to the player, sighing in relief when they recognized who it was.

It was Cuphead. The crowd started chanting the cup's name as he kept winning the game, and Y/n took notice of how anxious Mugman looked. Not that he ever looked not anxious.