6

"You want breakfast first?" River asked Charlie as the two got ready for patrol. She grabbed her backpack, switchblade and packed a few snacks (River liked to be prepared in case they got stuck somewhere while patrolling).

"Yeah, I'm starving," Charlie replied, "Bison?"

"Sure, let's go," River nodded as she threw her backpack on and head out the front door with Charlie. She crained her neck to the side and let out a small yawn as she stretched while they walked.

"Didn't sleep good?"

"When do I ever?" River replied, letting out another yawn, "Just dreams, you know."

Charlie nodded understanding, "You can always wake me up. I don't mind staying up with you."

"Trust me, it's no biggie," River shook him off, "with someone or without - each night's the same. It's fine, really."

Charlie nodded slowly, sending her one last glance as the two made their way over to the Tipsy Bison. Charlie raised an eyebrow when he saw River open the door and walk in first, "You're actually coming in this time?"

"Seth's day off," River smirked back at the boy, "gotta enjoy it while I can."

Charlie snickered, "Alright, you go order then. I'm gonna go talk to Tara," River raised an eyebrow at the boy, chuckling as she watched Charlie try to smooth things over between them. Didn't seem to be working, though.

"Hey, you got anything good for patrol?" River asked one of the residents, Beth, she thinks, who was working behind the counter, "Charlie and I are just looking for food before we head out."

"Yeah, got some sandwiches ready. Just wait here while I go grab them," River smiled at the woman. She leaned against the counter and tapped on it gently as she waited for her to return. Her eyes went over to Charlie, smirking as he leaned his arm against the wall as he talked to Tara.

"Such a whore," River whispered jokingly to herself as she shook her head.

River's attention turned to the couple next to her, frowning in confusion, "She just up and vanished. Left in the middle of the night and only left a note," one of them said.

"Joel ran out early this morning to go after her... hope he finds her in time. He was worried as shit when he told Tommy."

"He moved out of here quick," The other agreed. River stared at the two with slightly wide eyes, turning away and frowning down at the counter.

Ellie left? Were they even talking about Ellie?

"Sorry, who left?" River asked the two.

"Ellie this morning. No one knows why, though," One of them replied. River nodded slowly, thanking them before grabbing the sandwiches and heading over to Charlie, hitting his chest and nodding her head to get him to follow.

"Dude. I totally had time-"

"You know that Ellie left last night?" River cut Charlie off and looked up at him with a frown.

"Shit, really?"

"Yeah, heard a couple talking about it at the bar... you think she's gone for good?"

Charlie frowned as he stared ahead, looking over at River who also had a similar frown, "I don't think she's gone for good," Charlie said to the girl, "maybe she just... needed to sneak out for a bit."

"She's so fucking reckless," River shook her head.

"Any different from you sneaking out?"

"I'm always back for patrol," River replied, "seriously, though. Why the fuck would she just up and leave?"