18

River was in Eugene's hideout taking care of all the weed plants. Some had died since she took a while to come back here, but she decided she needed something to take her mind off of everything. Before coming, the girl was looking for Dina to show the girl this place, but she couldn't find her so River just came alone.

The girl had Eugene's CD player going as she bopped her head to the music. She got a few more batches of weed that she was going to bring back to town. Her eyes looked around the room, "God this is a lot of weed," River mumbled, "why'd you even have to plant so much, Eugene?"

The girl walked over to the couch and laid down on it. She let out a deep breath as she looked around the place.

It's still kind of awesome.

River grabbed her bag of weed, turned off the music and lights before heading upstairs. She walked into where Eugene used to sleep, heading over to the generator. Her eyes roamed around to look at some of Eugene's stuff. Besides the basement, she never really touches anything in here. It seemed wrong and it was sorta comforting that it was always the same. She never went through his things since she always said she would respect his privacy after sort of ruining it by following him here.

But she's glad to sorta have this place now. It was a nice little escape.

River turned off the generator before heading out the front and back towards Jackson. The girl didn't mind the walk back. Just like Eugene's, it was nice and just for her.

When River got back to Jackson, she went to her secret entrance and shimmied through. She froze and frowned when she saw the three adults standing there. River raised her eyebrow at Maria, Tommy and Joel, "Can I help you?"

"Has this always been here?" Maria asked the girl, "How many times have you used it?"

River didn't answer them as she frowned, "Why were you guys waiting for me?"

"We just wanted to talk," Joel spoke up, earning a confused look from the girl, "we know you know about Ellie."

"Yeah, and?"

"Well, uh," Joel cleared his throat, not expecting the girl to react like that, "we wanted to make sure you understood why it's important you don't tell anyone."

River kept a bored look on her face as she looked between the adults. Tommy cleared his throat, "If people found out, we don't know how they'd react."

"They could not believe her immunity and kill her," Maria added.

"Well, duh," River snorted, "no one would believe she was actually immune unless you push her into a room of spores or make an infected bite her then wait it out. Seriously, did you believe it until you saw it?"

Joel shifted as he shook his head, "Not exactly."

"Right, well even if I was planning on telling everyone, which I wasn't, then the amount of people that would actually believe me is next to none," River looked between all the adults, "so you talking to me is pointless. Ellie knows I'm not gonna blab and I can keep a secret."

"Even from Charlie and Hayden?" Joel asked.

"Even from Charlie and Hayden," River confirmed, "this whole team caring thing is cute and all, but really I'd be more worried about you three. I bet the first thing you did when you saw Tommy was blab about Ellie's immunity."

Joel smirked, chuckling as he nodded, "I did."

"And when I got here did Tommy immediately blab about what he knows about my mom?"

River looked to Tommy with a raised eyebrow, "Not right away," Tommy said, "just explained why I wanted him to give you one of his guitars."

River deflated as she looked down, "So that's why you gave me the guitar? Why you were so nice. Out of pity."