Chapter 11

This note along with everything else that's happening doesn't make sense. There are too many questions with no answers attached to them for me to connect the dots. Putting the note on my desk with the other one I decide to take a break and just let what happened today sink in. I can't deal with anymore uncoverings today.

"Now I know that I'm home alone right now, but if my son who may have ditched school today can hear me I'm going to go grocery shopping and pick up some food later for dinner. I called off work to have a night in with my son who is definitely at school right now." I love my mom.

"Thanks, mom. That's coming from your son who is one hundred percent at school." The last thing I hear from her is her laugh before the door closes.

I'm happy that my mom decided to take the day off, not just because she needs a break but also it would be nice to have some quality time with her.

Looking back at the notecard on my side table I decide to just ignore it for a little, it has already frustrated me enough trying to figure out what it means. This answer is one that I'm going to have to search for, she's not telling me where to find it.

Laying back down I look towards the window catching a glimpse of a group of birds flying past. The sky is bright without a cloud in the sky and I can see small dust particles flying through the light that's peaking in. All I can hear is the sound of the wind blowing in the trees, birds singing to each other, and the occasional car driving past. It's all so peaceful and slow-moving that it doesn't take me long to fall asleep, every worry and concern leaving my body.

I wake up with a jolt as the front door slams shut.

Jogging down the stairs, taking two at a time, I catch my mom juggling all of her groceries. Without hesitation, I run over to help grab some from her arms. Something my mom hates almost as much as she hates waking up is taking two trips.

"Sorry I didn't mean to wake you up the wind slammed the door shut," She says placing the two full paper bags onto the table almost dropping the eggs in the process.

"It's okay, but how'd you know that I was asleep?"

"I figured as much, you are my son after all," She tells me with a nudge of her elbow.

"What? Since when! How could you not tell me?" I ululate sarcastically.

"Oh shut up you smart-ass," she nags at me but can't hold back the smile.

Dinner is soon ready, my mom made spaghetti so the past half hour all I could smell was the scent of red pepper and oregano. It did not help me with my or stomach growling, it only kept getting louder. I guess she's been craving a nice dinner with just the two of us as much as I have since she went all out. She even got us garlic bread and salad.

"Thanks for dinner, mom."

"It's whatever I just thought I would give you a break from cooking, and I also needed a break from boxed dinners."

"Hey, I'm a great cook!" I shout dramatically.

"Huh? Oh yeah, you're... great" She said with a smile on her face but no genuineness.

"Ummm, I'm going to need to hear you say it with actual conviction," I demand, arms crossed.

"Oh just eat your food, you big baby."

"I will be bringing this up later," I say sternly before taking an enormous bite of salad hearing it crunches instantly.

The night went by quickly, unfortunately, and it wasn't until after that that I realized I hadn't thought about Nova, Warren, or any of the notes. Looking back it was just filled with laughter and light-heartedness the entire time, no serious talks, no dark thoughts—just placidity.