Chapter 4

Isn't it funny how quickly time goes by after it's passed? Like in the moment, days feel like they go by agonizingly slow, but the weeks pass by fast because before I know it, it's lunch on Friday. Charlotte and I's relationship has been even more strained than normal, not only because of what happened with Maddie. Just everything she does seems even more bratty and arrogant than normal, maybe it is normal, and I'm only just now realizing it. That's not the only thing, Nova has been... watching us. It's almost like she's observing us, like she's trying to figure something out.

"She's doing it again," Warren says lowly while we sit at our lunch table. Yeah, I'm not the only one who's noticed this; she's been observing all of us. We all look over at her, and she doesn't even react or look away she just keeps her eyes on us. She looked me dead in the eye, and I was so enthralled by her golden eyes that I don't look away. I stay there until Charlotte forces me to by grabbing my chin and turning me away. I removed her hand from me and look at her confused, "Why'd you do that?"

"You were staring," she says like it was the most obvious thing.

"What, are you jealous or something?" I ask, generally confused because she's never gotten jealous before.

Charlotte snorts before explaining herself, "Of course not! I just don't want people to associate us with her." My patience is demolished by the second, " I mean, she's so rude, doesn't talk to anyone, then just all of a sudden starts this staring contest with us, common she's a freak, I wouldn't be surprised if she did drugs or something-"

"Shut the hell up!" I yell, making her wince, the emotion is quick to demolish, and before I know it, she's controlled herself.

"Are you serious, Jake?" She asks, standing up and trying to be intimidating.

"Do I look like I'm joking?" I ask, standing up too.

"Do you know what! I'm gonna go; why don't you give me a call once you get your head out of your ass?" She yells out, walking over to her soccer friends.

"Ummm... Did you guys just break up?" Maddie asks, taking a swig of her water.

"God, I hope so," I say without really thinking, causing Maddie to almost spit up her water laughing, but she holds it in.

"You have a free period next, right?" Warren asks, and I nod my head yes in response. "Lucky."

"Yeah, I'm just going to go down to the field and practice some before football.

"So you're going to practice and exercise before doing just that 7th period? You're such a jock," Warren mocks causing us to laugh, forgetting about the drama.

We talk and eat a little bit longer until, soon enough, the bell rings. I bid goodbye to Warren and Maddie before heading to the locker room. I guess I got lucky because my free period lines up with baseball and soccer only, so I have the whole football field to myself. I grab my gym bag from the locker room after changing and walk out, but not before waving hello to the football coach. The football field is next to the baseball fields, but since it's the offseason. Instead, they're all in the weight room like we'll be next semester.

I drop my bag onto the bench after taking out everything I need and decide to take a lap as a warm-up. I know most people find it weird, but I find running both exhilarating and relaxing. It also gives me the time to think things over and just to take the time to breathe when things are the most chaotic. Also, at the same time, each pushing through and breathing makes me what to run faster. Jogging my way around, I notice a small figure sitting next to my bag on the bench, they stare up at the scenery in front of them. Slowing down, I cautiously walked over to where Nova is sitting. Maybe she didn't realize it was me?