too short to see

Today has been an average normal day. I walk to the cafeteria to eat my lunch. As usual, I put on my headphones to listen to music while attempting to finish homework. The bell rings and I walk to my next class and feel the urge to look behind me. I see someone. At first, I wonder whether I'm imagining this or not and rub my eyes. But no, this is not my imagination. I stare at his unfathomably beautiful face. His laugh, his smile. The school day finishes and I go home. I go to sleep thinking of him. The next day, I wake up too late and quickly get ready. I plan my conversation with him, making sure it's casual enough and I display my true personality throughout the duration of the conversation. I go to school excited to see him. The day is rainy. I hate rainy days but I endure the rain to see him. While walking down the block to the school, I walk into someone I cannot see because they are too short. "ew" I say out of instinct. I look down and it's him. He looks up at me in a strange way.

"Woah," he says while backing away. His expression is unreadable. He's almost laughing.

I can feel my heartbeat in my ears. I am too stunned to say a single word. He runs away towards the school. I stay standing still, unable to comprehend what just occurred.