Prologue

???

- 19 Years Ago - 2038 A.D -

- 2nd Year of the First Aarkorian Invasion -

The sound of whirring quantum engines roared in her ears. Twenty clicks away and yet the shockwaves of the massive spaceships made the house shake. That unmistakable scent of burning fuel screamed through her senses. They were finally leaving.

The TV in front of her hissed to life. Stripes of color interrupting the live feed of the security cameras. Two broadcasters flickered onto the screen. Dressed in polished black suits with red ties hanging from their necks.

"Attention citizens of Earth. We present an announcement on behalf of the Terrestrial Protection Administration. The alien species known as the Aarkorians have fled Earth after their two year long attack on the planet came to an end. Anyone currently watching, you are part of the 0.8% who survived the invasion. The Administration personally congratulates you for your tenacity." The woman on the left gestured to the corner of the screen which beheld the death count, that now grinded to a halt. Stopping at over 7,933,000,000 dead.

By her calculations, that meant only 67 million humans remained alive. Better than the projections made last month. But last month no one knew they'd leave. No one thought this nightmare would ever come to an end.

She remembered the day they arrived. She would never forget.

In August of 2036, she was busy in the kitchen making breakfast for her daughter, Selphie. When James, her ex-husband, started pounding on the front door. Demanding that they both got in his car and he would drive them to the nearest army base. She knew he wouldn't show up and start making orders unless it was life or death. So she took Selphie and went with him. No questions asked.

As they were pulling past the gates of the base the ground tore itself apart. The military radio in the car went mayhem. She could only make out a few words between the ringing in her ears. 'Washington down. The entire state has been leveled.'

When the world finally stood still James grabbed her hand and turned off the radio. He explained that an unknown space craft entered the atmosphere and made contact. That the government had been communicating with it since then. He then said the spacecraft was from another planet, called Aarkos. They had suffered an extinction level event. All the females of their species had died out. That they'd searched through space for lifeforms with similar enough biology to interbreed with. Found humans to be a good match. He also explained that just one hour prior, the US had fired a nuke into the spacecraft.

Pretty swiftly after that the death toll started to update hourly. The landing of the warships only made it worse. With arguably the world's greatest military in shambles, the planet fell to shit.

But the collapse led to the creation of the Terrestrial Protection Administration (TPA). A unified military force that emerged as humanity's last line of defense. Divided into three sectors - North (Europe and Asia), South (Africa and remnants of Australia), and West (the Americas) - the TPA aimed to protect what remained.

Most people sought refuge with them and their various bunkers that lied safe beneath the surface of the Earth. But there were conditions. You had to work a job. Often a dangerous and or back-breaking one. They didn't care if you were sick, injured, or elderly. The only mercy they bestowed was upon children under the age of 15. Who they sent to specialized schools to train to be doctors or elite soldiers.