17 exceptionally easy ways to relax - from people who know how to chill

17 exceptionally easy ways to relax — from people who know how to chill

By: Meghan Holohan

A new project just fell on your desk and that one coworker keeps complaining about, well, everything. Home won't feel any better. There's laundry, dinner, and the your daughter needs to finish her science project asap. So it's just another day filled with little stresses.

Is it possible to decompress and tackle these annoyances better? As May "Mental Health Month" wraps up, TODAY asked some experts what they do to relax during busy, stressful days.

1. Take a walk

"I take a walk in the Botanical Gardens," says Robert Bilder, a professor of psychiatry at the Semel Institute and director of the Tennenbaum Center for the Biology of Creativity in the Semel Institute at UCLA. "One of the most important tips is to 'unplug' and get away from the constant tyranny of email, messaging, twitter feeds, and the other ubiquitous stimuli that tend to take over our plans for action."

This activity is not trendy but it's the superfood of fitness

2. Treat yo' self

"I try to go out to lunch everyday to get myself out of my office and let someone take care of me (food is cooked for me, cleaned up for me, etc.). It's a break from taking care of others," says Ann Kearney-Cooke, a psychologist at the Cincinnati Psychotherapy Institute.

3. Try a rub down

"I find it easy and convenient to self-massage acupressure points classically used to ease stress and promote relaxation. These are easy to reach on my hands and my wrists," says Dr. Lawrence Taw, assistant clinical professor UCLA Center for East-West Medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.

4. Send out good vibes

"I pause and think of a few people who love me and trust my intentions," says Dr. Amit Sood, a professor of medicine at the Mayo Clinic. "I send silent good wishes to the person in front of me."

5. Bend over

"Stop, drop and do yoga! Even just a pose or two can help to calm the mind and recharge your batteries. Try Tree Pose standing by your desk, or a twist sitting in your chair," says Rachel Brathen, aka "Yoga Girl" and author of the new book Yoga Girl.

'Yoga girl': 3 yoga poses to boost your mood

6. Eat dark chocolate

"I use mood food to turn my mood around in the very short time," says Frank Farley, a professor of psychology at Temple University.

7. Listen to music

"I listen to Mozart (elegant, beautifully structured, relaxing)," says William Fullard, professor emeritus of psychology at Temple University.

8. Meditate

Sitting quietly while focusing on breathing and being "present" can help you sleep, research finds.

"I meditate," says Sood. "I cultivate habits that relax the mind—for example, when I wake up, I think about five people I am grateful for before I start my day."

Short-circuit stress: Mindful meditation may be key to better sleep

9. Ground yourself

"Know that life is not as serious as your mind makes it out to be. There are a lot of beautiful things around you. When you feel stress creeping up, focus on them," says Brathen.

10. Create fun habits

"When I get home from work I have created my own ritual of transition," says Kearney-Cooke. "As soon as I get home I change into more comfortable clothes, turn on jazz or classical music and after eating dinner, engage in some type of movement (exercising, dancing, etc) or connecting with others in a casual way."

11. Watch YouTube or Netflix

"TV and some online activities can often be very relaxing," says Farley.

12. Be social

"I connect each day with my adult children and husband and close friends and the closeness with them is fulfilling and often shifts my energy after a tough day," says Kearney-Cook.

13. Take a break

"When things get super busy and you feel like you have a hard time keeping up—stop. Close your eyes. Take five, very slow, very deep breaths. Focus where you are in this moment. Then get back to work," says Brathen.

14. Have good friends

"Surround yourself with role models who inspire you by their words and actions," says Sood.

15. Think of others

"I 'reboot' on a weekly basis by volunteering at my church where I serve as a children's Sunday school teacher. This is a way to take the focus off myself and direct it towards others," says Taw.

16. Be kind

"Commit to finding happiness through kindness," says Sood.

17. Bust a move

"Take a dance break (yes!), go for a walk outside, hug your dogs. Come back to light and love," says "Yoga Girl" Brathen.

Doing this for two minutes can extend your life