Chapter 26 Run, Ann, Run

Same Day, Silk Moth Kingdom Approved Suit and Dress Shop

*

Grew-Ella and her mother stood under a massive sign. Conform to beauty standards and unleash your silk moth. Doctored posters of Ida covered the windows.

Grew-Ella located a muted green cocktail dress.

"Oh no, we're going to the wedding and prom section, and I'm buying. Sadly, we have to buy off the rack, and your dress can't be altered." Karen hung the boring dress as she guided her daughter through the men's section. Fine suits and colorful shirts filled the racks. Near the left wall, they knocked on a door with a security guard standing by. He examined Grew-Ella's nuptial bracelet and let both women through.

Unmovable plastic mannequins displayed wedding and prom dresses that were remainders from other planets.

Grew-Ella examined a tight, rainbow-colored fishtail dress. "I adore the colors, but it's not right for my shape."

Junior and Madd-Ox hid behind robotic mannequins, and they listened in. "Yoleta will prevent Chase from showing," Madd-Ox whispered.

Junior said something back.

"Did you hear whispering?" Grew-Ella asked.

"I don't think so," Karen said.

A dress shop salesman grabbed Grew-Ella and twirled her around. "Darling, you would look best in white with a pop of color. I suggest a scoop neckline with a semi-corseted bodice because it fits better." He checked her ID. "I ordered the perfect dress for you." He pointed at a mannequin.

"When?" she asked.

"I don't remember." He located a short wedding dress in a bargain bin.

"You sound like Ida's friend, Flint," Grew-Ella said.

"I am, but we have cut the listening devices, and our people are in the store. Speak freely, and you don't need to talk in Esperanto or another rare language." He vanished in rainbow light.

Karen spoke to her daughter. "The bag is in the car if you plan to run. I adore Quig and want him to be my son-in-law." She took a deep breath. "But you shouldn't be forced into marriage, regardless of how adorable he is. This is the whole Chase fiasco, only this time you're marrying without a choice, but at least Quig isn't a terrible person I'd love to poke in the eye."

Grew-Ella stood next to the mannequin and felt the dress. "He attained broken status, and marrying him saves me."

"Yes, but what about him?"

"Mom, Quig isn't being left at the altar twice. If that happens, he'll dip further into the system and be financially devastated or killed," she said. "Don't inform Zill when the real wedding date is. Mom, I never told Quig anything due to the NDA."

"Was she involved?" Karen asked.

"Mom, my sister isn't a disgusting person at all. She hasn't tried to spike my drinks and doesn't cheat with most of my boyfriends. You know what happened to me when I confided in you last time. Stop asking. Even if I could tell you the truth, Dad and Yoleta don't want the real answer."

"Alright, I won't ask." Karen undressed the mannequin. "Trust Quig with the truth." She handed the dress to her daughter. "This is the only time you can buy white or bright colors. I'll purchase dresses for you to prance around the apartment."

"Mom, I'll inform him when I'm allowed to. Laws don't matter to Sean-Mack and Vex unless they can profit from them."

She clutched Grew-Ella's arm. "Chase was a sick freak to force you to add a passage that you couldn't confess love to any man but him."