remember to smile

TRIGGER WARNING: SUBJECTS IN THIS CHAPTER MAY BE SENSITIVE TO SOME. 

Hermione's pov:

Everyone is stood in a crowd protecting hogwarts. I never thought all those years ago that this would be where I am now. I'm not sure where I thought I would be, to be completely honest. Perhaps successful. Top of my year.  But no, here I am. Battling against voldemort and his army. Spells being thrown everywhere recklessly. People dropping like it's the plauge. It's hard to watch. I can't stand it.

Voldemort laughs and everything goes quiet. It all stops for a moment before he talks.

"You don't get it, do you? How do you think I knew so much about your pathetic school? Might I ask you minerva, are you missing someone?" He laughs again and everyone seems so confused. For the first time in my life, it doesn't add up.

"I told you they didn't care about you. They don't even know you're gone." I hear the dark Lord say.

"Let me introduce you to my little friend." He says darkly, smiling like a maniac from ear to ear as if his mouth has been slit at the sides.

My heart drops when he pushes Y/N out from the crowd behind him to the space infront of him, a dark mark tattoo visible on her lower arm. Why her? Why not anybody else?

"Go on Y/N. You remember what they did to you. They tricked you. Made you feel unwelcome. Don't forget. You can't be seen as weak. If you aren't weak, prove it."

Y/N's pov:

I'm scared but I try not to show it. I remember all the horrible things they did, my eyes flash green as he takes control of me.  They tricked me. They made me feel unwelcome. They poured my blood onto the desk. They manipulated me. They mocked me. Now they will pay.

I lift my wand, pointing it directly at the person who hurt me the most, hermione Jean Granger. But as we make eye contact, her scared, teary eyes staring into mine, she mutters. "Remember who you are, my love." A wave of guilt washes over me. How can she still love me? I'm a monster.

"DONT HESITATE. REMEMBER WHAT SHE DID TO YOU. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO. JUST A WAND WAVE AWAY!"

Harry and Ron run infront of her protectively. My hard stare doesn't waver. If anything, it deepens. They humiliated me. They are the reason for this in the first place.

My muscles tense. I put my wand to Ron's throat, my fists turning white, my eyes fully green. I'm under his control now and I know it. I couldn't fight it if I tried and I don't want to.

I close my eyes, and once I re-open them there is a circle of everyone at hogwarts surrounding me.

Harry has his wand pointed at my neck now and I can't help but smile.

A manic laugh escapes my throat.

"SO NOW YOU CARE? ONCE YOU ARE ALL ON THE BRINK OF DEATH IS THE ONLY TIME YOU CARE? HAH! TYPICAL, PATHETIC,  ITTY, BITTY, BABY POTTER."

"The only time you've ever talked is to insult me? You're just like your mother."

"ATLEAST I HAVE A MOTHER! YOURS IS 6 FEET UNDER!"

A howl of laughter is heard from the Lord's side.

"Give me one good reason not to kill you right now, Y/N Lestrange."

"I don't have one. I was gonna do that job myself once this is over if you know what I mean."

I laugh once more, but this time it's fake.

My eyes turn back and I snap back into reality.

I realise what I said and the tears start. I drop to my knees. I am like my mother. But I'm a coward. I can't. I can't do it.

Suddenly, I am seized my my neck and thrown into the wall.

"YOU CALL THAT GETTING IT OVER WITH? YOU ARE SO WEAK Y/N! WHAT WOULD YOUR MOTHER THINK? YOU ARE A DISCRACE!"

With that, he threw me to the floor.

My breathing is sharp as I sob. "I can't. I can't do it. They are my friends,"

"Those are not friends, young one. Those are enemies. Those are bullies. Give them a taste of their own medicine."

"No."

"DID YOU JUST SAY NO TO THE DARK LORD CHILD?"

"I'll do it, my lord."

"Good."

I walk up to hermione slowly. I glare into her scared eyes once more. And point my wand at her forehead. It looks like she's too scared to move.

"Obliviate."

"WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?"

I point my wand at myself and it feels like he gets the message.

"Dont you dare."

...

"AVARDA KEDARVERA"

"NO"

A shot of green light flashes before me and agony surges through my body. I scream in pain as I fall to the ground but just before I go, I smile.

"Smiling makes the world go round, so we must do it as often as we can. Do you understand?"

"Yes mama"

"Look! Your doing it! I love you so much my baby!"

CRASH

"Miss lestrange you are under arrest for the use of unforgivable curses against Mr and Mrs Longbottom."

"But I didn't do anything! I was framed!"

"Tell that to the ministry."

"BUT MY BABY!"

"We'll take care of her."

"I LOVE YOU BABY! REMEMBER TO SMILE!"